diy solar

diy solar

Renogy 200ah BT new battery won't charge! BMS fault? or Part missing?

@obd.tech @mayuan
Very interesting info thanks my 200AH battery has twice during a recent cold spell (-9C) dropped to an output of 12.2v for a few hours but immediately returned to 13.2v if any load like lights were switched on, however the wretched DC home app (when it decides to connect) reports a BMS voltage of 13.2V

If it becomes a permanent problem I will take the lid off and investigate.
I am also curious who makes the BMS simply because the info provided by the wretched DC home app is very limited and I find it terribly inaccurate re the SOC and I am very suspicious about the accuracy of the reported internal temperature.

When charging mine typically gets to a stated 99.1% charged and then accepts another 50-60A before going to 100% so I find the SOC info totally unreliable!

I was rather hoping I could replace the, I assume, propriety Renogy BT interface with something superior that uses a Generic app?

Is the BT interface separate from the BMS?

Thanks

PS
during our cold spell I stood mine on a simple propagator heating mat in the van and without any additional insulation the battery was up to +12C after a few hours, one of these:

I didn't find out the BMS supplier Keith, but if u look at my first photo it shows a small heat shrinked BT interface under the false lid skin.
Tbh your better off using your Ali battery monitor..... More accurate & quicker than any App BMS malarkey M8.
Maybe your 12.2v reading was the shelf mode cutting in?
Regards Mark ;-) (Sbgt)

How did u get the top off? It beat me!
Did u find the BMS model info?
I used a hammer and a big flat-head screwdriver, the glue was very hard and shattered when you pried it open. Made a lot of noise opening it. I wasn't able to fine any information on the BMS, the unit doesn't have anything other then what is shown in the pictures.

if anyone manages to find the bms supplier, i am very interested to know

I suspect the BT interface is RS232 so probably uses modbus.
If I ever dismantle mine I will try a generic modbus adapter and see what info the BMS provides.

Renogy are not manglefacturers so bound to have bought in a fairly generic BMS, same as they do for their solar controllers and BT interfaces that are made by SRNE in fact SRNE also do an App but I am pretty sure it only does the same things as the Renogy BT one

Last edited:
Just tried both SRNE apps on Google Play, they connect to my Rover MPPT but not to the BT interface in the battery :(

Back