diy solar

diy solar

Renogy 2in1 3000W inverter+charger open ground error

zzerg85

I just bought this unit and someone made worried in a YouTube video where he tests with a test plug to see correct wiring in the unit. When it’s on shore power the RCD test works as intended but when the unit works of 12v leisure battery the tester shows open ground error.

Quote:
Be safe and get an electrician to sign off any 240v.

it gets especially important once you start wiring up your van for both shore power 240v and inverter 240v

Note that if your wiring an inverter to your vans power points, your safety switch wont operate correctly when on inverter power unless your vans power points earth is properly connected to your inverters neutral line. Its called Mains Earth-Neutral (MEN) see link below.

If you buy an inverter like a Victron multiplus inverter charger these type of units have a built in automatic shore power / inverter changeover to feed the vans power. They have a built in relay that correctly handles the MEN link.

This means:

When connected to shore power the inverter connects the vans power points Earth connection to the shore power earth, and hence your safe, your safety switch will work as expected.

When you unplug shore power your inverter then connects your vans power points to battery / inverter BUT it connects your power points Earth to the inverters Neutral line.

See here: Mains Earth-Neutral (MEN) https://www.redarc.com.au/guide-to-...a-redarc-pure-sine-wave-inverter-in-a-vehicle

If you don't have an inverter that auto switches between shore power and Inverter then you need to wire a manual changeover switch and wire in the MEN's link so your properly protected and your safety which will trip correctly.

Did I say be safe and get an electrician to sign off any 240v”

Quote ends here.

so
This is how far my investigation gone so far regarding this 700£ unit. I would like to know does anyone else had this problem before ? How they overcome it?
Could they share wiring diagram of shore power - this unit - sockets that is safe to work with?

Thanks??

I wouldn't worry about it. It is a high frequency automotive type inverter. It isn't designed for a neutral-earth connection, except on shore power. To get a shock in a van from this inverter, you would have to get in contact with live and neutral, which means two faults would have to occur simultaneously. Rather unlikely. Just leave it alone and enjoy the ride.

Back