diy solar

diy solar

Renogy 3000 inverter tripping gfci

Seems that the chassis ground is for an internal fault in the AC circuits. I’m not understanding why grounding it to the dc bussbar would provide protection
It keeps the dc system referenced to the dirt.

One way to conceptualize the dirt bond is as a drain.
I understand the concept for the AC circuit but didn’t realize the dc would benefit from the dirt bond also.
Would there be the possibility of overloading the dc system/batteries if there’s a fault in the inverter that dumps the overload through the chassis?
I am not trying to argue because I don’t know enough about these systems to do that. Just trying to understand the reasoning behind the actions. I have no problem deferring to your experience and connecting it to the dc buss. Just trying to understand the how it works part

I understand the concept for the AC circuit but didn’t realize the dc would benefit from the dirt bond also.
Would there be the possibility of overloading the dc system/batteries if there’s a fault in the inverter that dumps the overload through the chassis?
I am not trying to argue because I don’t know enough about these systems to do that. Just trying to understand the reasoning behind the actions. I have no problem deferring to your experience and connecting it to the dc buss. Just trying to understand the how it works part
For dc systems under 50 volts the dirt bond is optional.
I don't know how an inverter fault would dump an overload into the dc system but that doesn't mean its not possible.

The drain concept is for current induced into the wires.
Current that comes from the battery positive terminal is trying to get back to the battery negative terminal.
Current that comes from inverter_hot is trying to get back to the inverter_neutral.
Everything else hopefully goes down the electron drain.

I'm not an electrician or EE but there are plenty of them on the forum.
If I've said anything wrong hopefully someone will set me straight.

For dc systems under 50 volts the dirt bond is optional.
I don't know how an inverter fault would dump an overload into the dc system but that doesn't mean its not possible.

The drain concept is for current induced into the wires.
Current that comes from the battery positive terminal is trying to get back to the battery negative terminal.
Current that comes from inverter_hot is trying to get back to the inverter_neutral.
Everything else hopefully goes down the electron drain.

I'm not an electrician or EE but there are plenty of them on the forum.
If I've said anything wrong hopefully someone will set me straight.
That actually helps me make sense of connecting the chassis ground to the dc Meg buss. The ac ground is going to earth ground so if it faults inside the inverter it will drain to earth ground through the panel ground buss that’s connected to the earth ground rod. If the dc circuits fault inside the inverter the would drain back to the battery neg through the negative buss
Am I getting this correct??

Next I’m putting the inverter back in connection with the panel and see what happens

That actually helps me make sense of connecting the chassis ground to the dc Meg buss.
Not understanding meg in this context.
The ac ground is going to earth ground so if it faults inside the inverter it will drain to earth ground through the panel ground buss that’s connected to the earth ground rod. If the dc circuits fault inside the inverter the would drain back to the battery neg through the negative buss
Am I getting this correct??
Yes.
Next I’m putting the inverter back in connection with the panel and see what happens
?

Bro, we can see you have the ground (copper wire) and the neutral from the inverter (white wire) connected together in the panel, even on your test wire.

Don't do this.

You need to isolate the white wires from the bare copper wires so they are electrically separate all the way back to the inverter. This means you need a second bus bar in your panel where you'll attach all your neutrals and this will be electrically seperate (floating, not bonded) from the bare copper ground (equipment ground).

The inverter chassis ground needs to be electrically tied to your breaker box case (equipment grounds etc.

You can choose to run all this to a ground rod after connecting it electrically or not. Your choice

Do you have solar stuff?

Bro, we can see you have the ground (copper wire) and the neutral from the inverter (white wire) connected together in the panel, even on your test wire.

Don't do this.

You need to isolate the white wires from the bare copper wires so they are electrically separate all the way back to the inverter. This means you need a second bus bar in your panel where you'll attach all your neutrals and this will be electrically seperate (floating, not bonded) from the bare copper ground (equipment ground).

The inverter chassis ground needs to be electrically tied to your breaker box case (equipment grounds etc.

You can choose to run all this to a ground rod after connecting it electrically or not. Your choice

Do you have solar stuff?
Yep thanks for the input. Issue is resolved and working correctly

Back