diy solar

diy solar

Renogy 3000 inverter tripping gfci

OK since you don't want to void the inverter warranty.

Disconnect the inverter from everything and run some tests...
Check for continuity between the chassis grounding lug and the ac ground.
I expect continuity.

Check for continuity between ac ground and ac neutral.
I expect continuity.

If both are true then you will need to separate all the ground and neutrals in the panel.
When your are done there should be no continuity between the neutral and ground busbar in the panel.

I expect continuity.

I expect continuity.

If both are true then you will need to separate all the ground and neutrals in the panel.
When your are done there should be no continuity between the neutral and ground busbar in the panel.
Okay I will run these test tomorrow when I get back to the cabin. Updates coming after test results. Thanks again for all the help

@Jim Harris do you need to run a gfci breaker or gfci outlet downstream?
I don’t think so. I’m in the country off grid and I don’t foresee any problems with what we are running. Once this bug is resolved I’ll use the outlet tester to be certain that the internal gfci functions as intended. That should keep all circuits protected and humans as well

I don’t think so. I’m in the country off grid and I don’t foresee any problems with what we are running. Once this bug is resolved I’ll use the outlet tester to be certain that the internal gfci functions as intended. That should keep all circuits protected and humans as well
You say bug, I say configuration issue with the distribution panel.

It could be tricky finding the source of an actual ground fault with this configuration.

It could be tricky finding the source of an actual ground fault with this configuration.
Indeed!! That’s the reason I started with only one active branch circuit. Wired to the outlet for the refrigerator 2’ from the panel. Trying to keep it as simple as possible until the investigation reveals the cause of the issue. Step by step. Inch by inch

Indeed!! That’s the reason I started with only one active branch circuit. Wired to the outlet for the refrigerator 2’ from the panel. Trying to keep it as simple as possible until the investigation reveals the cause of the issue. Step by step. Inch by inch
Are you not convinced that the issue is 2 n-g bonds?
Have you done the continuity tests on the inverter that I suggested?

Are you not convinced that the issue is 2 n-g bonds?
Have you done the continuity tests on the inverter that I suggested?
I am convinced the issue is two n-g bonds. It’s the most logical reason for the consistent fault trigger. My dad told me many decades ago that electricity is like water. It takes the path of least resistance. With 2 n-g bonds the flow of current divided is less resistance on each flow.
The cabin is 45 miles away and I’m going back this morning after the granddaughter leaves to go back to college
Should be able to have test results by noon CST

I am convinced the issue is two n-g bonds. It’s the most logical reason for the consistent fault trigger. My dad told me many decades ago that electricity is like water. It takes the path of least resistance. With 2 n-g bonds the flow of current divided is less resistance on each flow.
The cabin is 45 miles away and I’m going back this morning after the granddaughter leaves to go back to college
Should be able to have test results by noon CST
It may not be the only problem, but its the one to deal to first.

I expect continuity.
Continuity is there
I expect continuity.
Continuity is there
Neutral and ground wires are separated. No continuity between the neutral buss bar and the ground. This panel doesn’t have a separate buss bar installed. I connected the ground wires to a separate loose bar that is not connected to the panel
Now I can connect the ground buss bar to the earth ground and reconnect the inverter to check gfci operation correct ??

Continuity is there

Continuity is there

Neutral and ground wires are separated. No continuity between the neutral buss bar and the ground. This panel doesn’t have a separate buss bar installed. I connected the ground wires to a separate loose bar that is not connected to the panel
Now I can connect the ground buss bar to the earth ground and reconnect the inverter to check gfci operation correct ??
You need a ground busbar to land the branch and feeder grounds to.
Also the inverter chassis ground should either be disconnected or connected to dc negative busbar.

You need a ground busbar to land the branch and feeder grounds to.
I have the ground busbar just hanging loose at the moment. I will get one that will mount to the panel insulated for permanent use.
Also the inverter chassis ground should either be disconnected or connected to dc negative busbar.
I think the chassis ground should be left disconnected

I have the ground busbar just hanging loose at the moment. I will get one that will mount to the panel insulated for permanent use.

I think the chassis ground should be left disconnected
Why do you think that?

Back