diy solar

diy solar

Renogy 50amp dc to dc charger and MPPT controller ok?

slocumjoseph

I’m in the process of gathering together information and the money to install solar power in my Volkswagen T6 with pop top. Height is critical for me so have decided I need the hugely expensive Flexi panels with the reverse junction box. In the YouTube review of the Renogy 50amp charger combined with an MPPT controller Will was very enthusiastic. In spite of the voltage restrictions. That seemed to be the answer for me after lashing out on the actual panels. However I’m now having difficulty seeing any other reviews or even references and I can no longer find Wills little assessment video online. Seems strange that the shouting has died down for what appeared to be a game changer. Has there been bad feedback, has it been tested long term, have some unforeseen problems developed? This all in wonder box sounds like a no brainer for people with limited space and budget but I’m hesitating to commit now. Any comments?

. Any comments?
If you are based in Europe there are alternatives from companies like Victron, Sterling Power and Votronic with a wide user base and manufactures support.
Most combined units are limited with a low maximum solar panel input voltage, preventing the use of series connected panels or high voltage panels. Also the maximum power performance maybe less able to follow changing solar conditions. 'All your eggs in one basket' is something to consider. If your T6 has a 'smart alternator' with start stop, then alternator charging need equipment that can tolerate that and not overload the van electrical system.
The Renogy branded DC charger seems remarkable value, perhaps carry out an internet search for problems/issues with the unit before making a decision.

Mike

If you are based in Europe there are alternatives from companies like Victron, Sterling Power and Votronic with a wide user base and manufactures support.
Most combined units are limited with a low maximum solar panel input voltage, preventing the use of series connected panels or high voltage panels. Also the maximum power performance maybe less able to follow changing solar conditions. 'All your eggs in one basket' is something to consider. If your T6 has a 'smart alternator' with start stop, then alternator charging need equipment that can tolerate that and not overload the van electrical system.
The Renogy branded DC charger seems remarkable value, perhaps carry out an internet search for problems/issues with the unit before making a decision.

Mike
Thanks for your common sense and reason Mike. I think I’ve been trawling around the internet and picking other forum experts brains for long enough now. Yes, I do have the start/stop system and my “smart’ alternator has never been able to charge the leisure battery properly. Your encouragement has reinforced my opinion that the extraordinary value for money Renogy 50amp all in one unit is what I need. No one has been able to give me an actual users report on it. However, on the other hand, nobody has given any bad feedback either. I think I know the units limitations and they shouldn’t be a problem for a small set up like I’m planning. Time for me to stop procrastinating and start mining the bank account. This will be my winter project and I hope to make reports on the installation with photos.

Back