diy solar

diy solar

Renogy 550w

SoakedUp

Solar Enthusiast
Has anyone used the Renogy 550w residential panels? They aren’t the cheapest at $1/watt but it’s free shipping through Amazon and can order a pair of panels at a time instead of buying 10+ which most places require. Also I’ve noticed a lot of people tend to have issues with broken panels when shipping pallets of solar panels which can cause a big headache trying to replace. I’m willing to pay a bit more for a panel that I can order in smaller quantities and have no concerns about returning a broken panel since they are sold by and shipped by Amazon.

I just can’t seem to find any reviews for Renogys larger residential panels. Has anyone tried them out?

Renogy 2PCS Solar Panel Kit 550 Watts 12/24 Volts Monocrystalline High-Efficiency Module PV Power Charger Supplies for Rooftop Charging Station Farm Yacht and Other Off-Grid Applications, 550W https://a.co/d/6PLpjPW

I think in term of performance, they are OK. I have their 6x320 W solar panels. They work well. And yes, mine is expensive.

At the moment I have a small 12 volt system I have two different arrays both of them are wired up correctly my two 200 W panels
(400 watts)wired in series only give me 205 Watts maybe 216 on a great day. And I have six 100 watt panels wired in series parallel 3 in each series. My solar controllers are fine I've got a 100 30 on the six panel array. And a 75 15 on my 400 W array two panels. Both victron controllers. My 600 watt setup only gets about 350 Watts on a good day maybe a little more a couple times normally I'm only getting about 315 Watts. I'm only producing half of what the solar panels are supposed to do. everything is wired properly. I have the panels facing the sun in pretty good fashion. I just don't know y I'm only getting half of the Watts.

I'm getting ready to install another system a sungold 6500 all in one. 6548 solar controller. And I'm going to put up eight panels at first if I use the 300 Waters I bought .or I bought some 450 Watts panels. I'm going to use six of those. I'm just wondering am I going to only get half of that array also. It's kind of depressing. Even if I get half of 2,500 Watts I'll be doing okay. I probably wouldn't even have done the 48 volt system if I would have been producing a little more solar on my 12 volt system. By the way they're victron controllers.

I just wondered if anybody has an idea about only getting half of my Watts or has run into the same problem. I know you don't see my system. So it's very difficult for you to comment probably.

And please wish me luck on my next system. the parts are rolling in. I'm probably going to have three 48v
Eg4 rack batteries maybe four. So I should have 15kwh at 48 volts or 20kwh if I end up with the four batteries. I honestly don't even use that much electricity I'm off grid completely. But it'll be nice to have I just want to make sure I have enough solar to charge those up in one day if necessary.. also to keep somewhat of a amount going in on a cloudy day.
I'm still having a problem figuring out how to calculate how many watts of solar to charge up the batteries..especially because it's 48 volts now... I'm all confused I barely got the 12 volt system down in my brain. Now I'm going 48 oh geez

Well anyway I was just wanting to find out about only getting a tiny bit more than half of my wattage output from the solar panels

thanks for reading the whole post

Last edited:
I'm pretty new to this but getting close to 100% on cheap 315 Canadian solar panels, on a clear day. I have some poorer quality 240 newpowa's and they regular hit 75% so I have no idea why you are getting such poor performance. Something seems wrong. Shading? Wiring? Compatibility issue? Or bad panels? I don't know. Good luck.

Back