diy solar

diy solar

Renogy Battery Monitor and Main GFI switch

Steph

I have two 175 w Renogy panels, a Renogy charge controller, a 2000w Renogy invertor, 2 100amp AGM batteries and a Go Power TS30 transfer switch

There are top issue. The first is that as soon as I turn in the GFI breaker the monitor shows the system using between 8 and 10 AMPS and 60 to 80 watts
draw. which of course drains the batteries quickly. This happens almost every time I turn on the GFI breaker. The reason I say almost every time, is that on two occasion this has not happened and the everything works just fine with a small AMP draw of .86 and a wat draw of around 10 since my refrig is on.

The other issue is that when this high draw happens the monito shows the system has no AH available with )% available. If I put on charger it resets with 0ne hour.

Any ideas

Could you tell us more about the GFI you are reffering to? Is it a solar Ground Fault Protection system or something on your AC? What is the make/model?

It is the GFI breaker on the trailer panel. As soon as I turn it on even with the inverter off the the load for watts and AMPs just jump up like crazy and the Renogy battery monitor, even though there is nothing on accept the fridge. It is a small frig in a T@B 320 CS-S teardrop. Within 10 minutes a full battery bank (13.6) will drop to 12.7.

yep on the AC side. The breaker controlss all the outlets and the power to the Alde monitor and Retrig fan

The most likely scenario is that one of the two items on the circuit is drawing a lot of power. The easiest way to prove this is to unplug/disconnect/turn off both and then turn the breaker on. If the battery does not go down, one of the two devices is the culprit.

The Alde monitor (I assume that is a computer screen) is probably not drawing a lot.

The Refrig is probably the culprit. Are you sure it is just a fan? is it running a compressor too? What is the make/model of the fridge?

Do you have a Kill-A-Watt or an Ammeter you can put on the devices to see what the current load is? If not, can you plug them in one at a time to see which is drawing the current.

Note: As you probably know, 200Ah of AGM only gives you ~100Ah of usable storage. 100Ah at 12V is not a lot of energy for driving a refrigerator.

The reason I say almost every time, is that on two occasion this has not happened and the everything works just fine with a small AMP draw of .86 and a wat draw of around 10 since my refrig is on.
Could it be that the Fridge was already cold when you did this? If it is already cold and does not turn on......it would explain things.

Back