diy solar

diy solar

Renogy battery weird voltage

LarsE

I'm building out a new solar system in a box for in camp power (and I am pretty new at this - previous setup was an AGM battery, 100W panel, PWM controller)

I have 2p 100W panels feeding into a Victron 100/20 MPPT, then to a Renogy 100AH smart LiFePO4. Victron battery monitor in the circuit as well.

The oddness I am seeing is that the battery is reading 17.4V at the terminals on multimeter, even when totally disconnected from all circuitry. When everything is hooked up the battery monitor claims 13.5v. I have power plugs on the box which also read 17V on the multimeter.

I am seeing posts around here where folks are seeing similar high voltages on the battery but that's coming with overvoltage alarms, which I am not getting. Am I just missing some basic "you can't just slap a multimeter on that battery" knowledge? Or is this a "don't use Victron devices with a Renogy battery, newbie" moment?

I'm looking at the boost voltage advice and might tinker with that a bit, but generally don't get why that voltage difference is happening. Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks!

Ha, that is embarrassing, I didn't even think of it. Indeed, flipping in a new battery and there is 13.5v on the terminals.

Thank you!

Back