diy solar

diy solar

Renogy DC DC Charger w/ MPPT

You can have it now, even better.
Check put the RedArc BCDC1259D device.
I have used two of these devices, one 40A and one 35A model. They are sealed units that can be exposed to the outdoor elements. RedArc is a very reputable Australian Company.

Sadly no. I have been looking at Redarc (I really wanted their Manager 30 unit) but all of their systems will only accept 12v solar input. I have not found anything they make that will use 24v panels (which have an open voltage typically about 42v). The will work on a 24 volt alternator which typically puts out less than 30v, which is why they have a 35v input but that is not usable for 24v panels which output more than 35v at times.

In Australia, the do offer a solar regulator which will work with 24v panels but those are not available in the USA.

i watched your vlog a few weeks back and bought the exact set up you advised or as close as i could am based in the uk and got my bargains black friday week i got all the panels only £68 each low profile mono 100w x 4 the bat to bat mppt all solar cables even paid £6 for battery temp thing ( but one was included with mppt/bat ) all direct from renogy uk £500 with 10% discount code WELCOME10 then i got 200AH lucas AGM for £230 3 year warranty ( cant afford two batteries yet ) full system everything and all good brands £800 and am very happy need better inverter yet only got 600w bestek but thanks for your advice and guidance we was lost a few weeks back regarding powering our camper conversion feel confidant now massive help big love Dave n Marie X ,Salford ,Manchester ,UK

You can have it now, even better.
Check put the RedArc BCDC1259D device.
I have used two of these devices, one 40A and one 35A model. They are sealed units that can be exposed to the outdoor elements. RedArc is a very reputable Australian Company.
Kinda Steep though at 0ver 500 bucks and not to mention shipping from down under. super nice unit though. for $250 I dont think you can compare a lot of DC chargers. Hope I like it though well see.

Kinda Steep though at 0ver 500 bucks and not to mention shipping from down under. super nice unit though. for $250 I dont think you can compare a lot of DC chargers. Hope I like it though well see.
RedArc has a presence in the USA now. I bought my last BCDC charger; solar controller from e-trailer on the internet. Others in the us also sell the RedArc products. They are pricey, they do work as advertised. Their customer service is tops.
I have no affiliation with Red Arc. Found their products years ago. Bought my first BCDC from a business in Australia and paid the extra shipping to get it here. You can now buy their stuff here in the USA.

Last edited:
wish the amps/volts was not so limiting... I got up to 200 charging amps available to use thru my 24v alternator.

I sent Renogy an email with my question and here’s what they had to say:

I honestly didn’t know that was a thing, although it makes sense. Here’s a link I found explaining it more for anyone interested:

Thank you! That's interesting...and good to know. I finaslly received my controller a few days ago. They were only in stock a short time. I put it on another thread that they were in stock...I had to wait a month

Back on topic....
I have recently received a Renogy DCS50 for a clients van.
It arrived yesterday and on opening the box I noticed that unique burnt electronic components type of smell!
I plugged it in today to a couple of batteries and it works ok although I haven't tested the solar input yet.

For those of you that have bought these did yours also stink?

It is a very noticeable smell and I may have to reassure the client there's nothing to worry about and it will dissipate over time.
Mine smells like plastic I suppose

I’m new to all of this, How, if at all, would this work with a Inverter/Charger so I can have shore power also. Will it matter if my van battery is AGM and the house battery is Lithium? Thanks

Your van's starter battery is AGM?
Have not seen that before.

I’m new to all of this, How, if at all, would this work with a Inverter/Charger so I can have shore power also. Will it matter if my van battery is AGM and the house battery is Lithium? Thanks
if you want to install shore power you will need a transfer switch. this unit only does the alternator and solar is what renogy told me.

Hi OJKwon
RedArc - here in Ozzie land - make one with all 3 inputs. Not sure where you are located but they are available on the Internet.

link to the BMS https://www.redarc.com.au/themanager30

Regards
Hi
Yes, have had the BMS15 in my camper for the last 6 or 7 years. Bullet proof. A bit limiting on the solar input voltage but there are enough panels to cover that. The output is limited to 15amps.
Regards

Has anyone successfully installed one in a vehicle with a smart alternator? I have tried, but cannot seem to the light to come on and charge my batteries. Looking for an example. I tried using an "add a circuit" to an existing fuse, but I don't see why there are two wires for the IGN. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone successfully installed one in a vehicle with a smart alternator? I have tried, but cannot seem to the light to come on and charge my batteries. Looking for an example. I tried using an "add a circuit" to an existing fuse, but I don't see why there are two wires for the IGN. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Which one are you talking about. I had the RedArc BMS15 running off a Toyota Prado which had a smart alternator and it worked fine.

Which one are you talking about. I had the RedArc BMS15 running off a Toyota Prado which had a smart alternator and it worked fine.
The one that this thread was started for. I have the Renogy DCC50S. I'm using Will's schematic that he has on his site. I have everything hooked up exactly how he does, but I can't seem to get the Alternator light to come on and charge the batteries. I have over 14V coming in from the starter battery and I used one of the IGN wires and hooked it to a 12V ignition switched source, but still no light.

Attachments

• IMG_0467.JPG
    IMG_0467.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 50
The one that this thread was started for. I have the Renogy DCC50S. I'm using Will's schematic that he has on his site. I have everything hooked up exactly how he does, but I can't seem to get the Alternator light to come on and charge the batteries. I have over 14V coming in from the starter battery and I used one of the IGN wires and hooked it to a 12V ignition switched source, but still no light.
Just had a look at the manual and it seems there needs to be an Earth as well as the Pos for the IGN input. Thinking about it as well you should be able to check it with the IGN disconnected - as per dumb alternator. Connect the one connector to earth and leave the other disconnected and see if it works with the alternator. There was also an item in the manual that it will switch off if the alternator voltage goes too high. This might be something to check as well.

Attachments

• 1BFD9C7C-0BD3-4B35-8EE9-277D297A8047.png
    1BFD9C7C-0BD3-4B35-8EE9-277D297A8047.png
    299.6 KB · Views: 33
How can you earth ground if you're driving?? @Will Prowse never said anything about earth grounding in his video and I don't believe he earth grounded. @JeepHammer will you please tell me what you think about the last post since you are very familiar with alternators, etc.?

Back