diy solar

diy solar

Renogy DC Home app vs Renogy BT app comparisons and which to use for your Charge Controller

TommyinMiami

HI guys I wanted to compile this little bit of data in one place. When I first set up my Renogy Rover Charge controller I had a difficult time finding this and it was spread out through multiple different places so here it is:

So you've just set up your new Renogy, Rich Solar, Weize, or other grey labeled charge controller made by SRNE that looks the same as the Rover just different colors and logo.
You go to download what the manual says, the Renogy DC Home app. If you have a Renogy clone than still just download this app it works in all controllers.

Sign up for an account and log into your controller. Tap on the 3 dots in the upper right, click settings. Set the controller to 12v or 24v and since you're prob using a LiFePo4 battery set it to lithium Lithium and hit save.

Now you're up and running, yayyy! Now for the more in-depth part:

There are actually 2 apps.
Renogy DC Home app: This is the current app that Renogy or SRNE, the real manufacturer supports and updates. It's a little nicer looking and has dark screen which is great at night and during the day. If you click on history it shows you very basic graphs and charts. Not very good graphs but it'll give you a very basic view. It's dummy-proof so you can't change any settings and you cant even put it in user mode from the app, only from the controller.

Renogy BT app: This was the original app before DC Home came out. You can tell it's a bit dated and rudimentary. You also can't put it in dark mode, and an all-white screen at night is pretty blinding. This app is no longer updated by the company. Go back to the app store and now download this app as well. This app is the only way you can get to all the settings that the controller has. It has more parameters than even on the controller itself. Download the app. Now make sure to close the other app, you cant use both at the same time. Open the app and click settings. Click READ, this will let you know all the current settings the controller has set up. Renogy does sometimes change the default setting so write down all the settings now so you can always go back in the future to see what the old setting was before you changed it. When you change it to USER mode, 4 or 5 of these parameters will change on their own, so you need to know the original Lithium settings. Now you're ready for USER MODE!

Renogy Charge Controler in User Mode:
Go to your charge controller and hold down the right button, once it flashes tap the up button to put the box from LITH to USM, then 12 or 24v. and hold down the right button to save it. Now come back to The Renogy BT app. hit settings, then read again, it should now say Battery type USER, if not restart the app and check now. Now it will ask you for a password.
Renogy BT User Mode Password is 135790123
Now you're in GOD Mode! You can feel the power coursing through your hands, like Zeus, oops sorry about that no, no, I mean USER Mode. you're now in USER Mode!
Ok so these are the differences:
Renogy DC Home Accessible Parameters: (and their default parameters) There are not many :(
System voltage: 12V
Battery Type: User
Equalization V. 14.4
Boost: 14.4
Float: 14.4
Low V Reconnect: 12.6
Low V Warning: 12.0
Low V Disconnect: 11.1

Renogy BT app Accessible Parameters: (lots and lots) They are all editable.
High V Disconnect: 16.0
Charge Limit V: 15.2
Equalize Charge V: 14.4
Float: 13.8
Boost Charge Return: 13.2
Over Charge Disconnect Return: 12.5
Low V Alarm: 12.0
Over-Discharge V: 11.0
Discharge Limit V: 10.5
Over-Discharge Disconnect Delay: 5 Seconds
Equalize Charge Time: 120 mins
Equalize Charge Interval: 30 days
Temperature Compensation: 3

Now go back to your notes when you had the settings from Lithium and change some settings to your particular system and hit the SET button to set the new data to your charge controller.

After you're done here you may want to eventually upgrade from the limited ranges of Bluetooth and the data limitations of the DC Home app. You can run both of these apps on a computer using an android emulator and searching for DC Home APK. But it doesn't work on 70% of computers because you need Bluetooth support in the emulator in order to connect to the BT-1 or BT-2 module. There's is a good Rasberry Pi thread here with a lot of info, and the new and up and coming star platform called Home Assistant has many options for you but you'll need to first get the data from the controller to your computer with a USB to Cat5 adapter, or a hub, or ok this topic can go farrrr down the rabbit hole, so I'll end this here. Renogy has said they plan to launch a WIFI capable option in the future but since Renogy, #1 is not the manufacturer, and #2 they said that 2 years ago, I don't put much stock in that. The community seems to be converging on this topic though and I feel some good options from the open-source projects will go mainstream before Renogy (ok the manufacturer in China) actually brings a solution. Chinese manufacturers are not exactly known for their innovation, I think it's more likely that Renogy launches a product only after the community has already settled on a good workaround.

Ok, I hope that helps someone who is looking for why the heck are there 2 Renogy apps, and maybe this will save you a few hours.
May the Sun Shine Brightly, and may the Amp-hours be with you always!

Last edited:
HI guys I wanted to compile this little bit of data in one place. When I first set up my Renogy Rover Charge controller I had a difficult time finding this and it was spread out through multiple different places so here it is:

So you've just set up your new Renogy, Rich Solar, Weize, or other grey labeled charge controller made by SRNE that looks the same as the Rover just different colors and logo.
You go to download what the manual says, the Renogy DC Home app. If you have a Renogy clone than still just download this app it works in all controllers.

Sign up for an account and log into your controller. Tap on the 3 dots in the upper right, click settings. Set the controller to 12v or 24v and since you're prob using a LiFePo4 battery set it to lithium Lithium and hit save.

Now you're up and running, yayyy! Now for the more in-depth part:

There are actually 2 apps.
Renogy DC Home app: This is the current app that Renogy or SRNE, the real manufacturer supports and updates. It's a little nicer looking and has dark screen which is great at night and during the day. If you click on history it shows you very basic graphs and charts. Not very good graphs but it'll give you a very basic view. It's dummy-proof so you can't change any settings and you cant even put it in user mode from the app, only from the controller.

Renogy BT app: This was the original app before DC Home came out. You can tell it's a bit dated and rudimentary. You also can't put it in dark mode, and an all-white screen at night is pretty blinding. This app is no longer updated by the company. Go back to the app store and now download this app as well. This app is the only way you can get to all the settings that the controller has. It has more parameters than even on the controller itself. Download the app. Now make sure to close the other app, you cant use both at the same time. Open the app and click settings. Click READ, this will let you know all the current settings the controller has set up. Renogy does sometimes change the default setting so write down all the settings now so you can always go back in the future to see what the old setting was before you changed it. When you change it to USER mode, 4 or 5 of these parameters will change on their own, so you need to know the original Lithium settings. Now you're ready for USER MODE!

Renogy Charge Controler in User Mode:
Go to your charge controller and hold down the right button, once it flashes tap the up button to put the box from LITH to USM, then 12 or 24v. and hold down the right button to save it. Now come back to The Renogy BT app. hit settings, then read again, it should now say Battery type USER, if not restart the app and check now. Now it will ask you for a password.
Renogy BT User Mode Password is 135790123
Now you're in GOD Mode! You can feel the power coursing through your hands, like Zeus, oops sorry about that no, no, I mean USER Mode. you're now in USER Mode!
Ok so these are the differences:
Renogy DC Home Accessible Parameters: (and their default parameters) There are not many :(
Equalization V. 14.4
Float: 14.4
Low V Reconnect: 12.6
Low V Warning: 12.0
Low V Disconnect: 11.1

Renogy BT app Accessible Parameters: (lots and lots) They are all editable.
High V Disconnect: 16.0
Charge Limit V: 15.2
Equalize Charge V: 14.4
Float: 13.8
Boost Charge Return: 13.2
Over Charge Disconnect Return: 12.5
Low V Alarm: 12.0
Over-Discharge V: 11.0
Discharge Limit V: 10.5
Over-Discharge Disconnect Delay: 5 Seconds
Equalize Charge Time: 120 mins
Equalize Charge Interval: 30 days
Temperature Compensation: 3

Now go back to your notes when you had the settings from Lithium and change some settings to your particular system and hit the SET button to set the new data to your charge controller.

After you're done here you may want to eventually upgrade from the limited ranges of Bluetooth and the data limitations of the DC Home app. You can run both of these apps on a computer using an android emulator and searching for DC Home APK. But it doesn't work on 70% of computers because you need Bluetooth support in the emulator in order to connect to the BT-1 or BT-2 module. There's is a good Rasberry Pi thread here with a lot of info, and the new and up and coming star platform called Home Assistant has many options for you but you'll need to first get the data from the controller to your computer with a USB to Cat5 adapter, or a hub, or ok this topic can go farrrr down the rabbit hole, so I'll end this here. Renogy has said they plan to launch a WIFI capable option in the future but since Renogy, #1 is not the manufacturer, and #2 they said that 2 years ago, I don't put much stock in that. The community seems to be converging on this topic though and I feel some good options from the open-source projects will go mainstream before Renogy (ok the manufacturer in China) actually brings a solution. Chinese manufacturers are not exactly known for their innovation, I think it's more likely that Renogy launches a product only after the community has already settled on a good workaround.

Ok, I hope that helps someone who is looking for why the heck are there 2 Renogy apps, and maybe this will save you a few hours.
May the Sun Shine Brightly, and may the Amp-hours be with you always!
hi there
Just wanted to say thanks for this! I just today installed my BT-1 module and am exploring the apps. I'm a complete newbie at solar so it's going to be a long journey for me. I do have a question.... I have a Renogy Wanderer controller with only one button that sets the battery type. Do you think I'll be able to access 'god mode'?
Thanks!
Robin

Thanks for posting this. I had my system running great. I moved it to a garage across the street I bought. Now, the Renogy 60a just seems stuck in "Boost" mode....I've reconfigured just about everything.... It's gotta be a setting...

Thanks again, I'll keep digging through old threads....

I've just installed mine and was glad to find this thread as I would very much like to be able to edit using bluetooth (due to location of the charge controller). However even though I am in admin mode I can only edit System Voltage, Battery Type and Temperature Compensation.

Edit: Penny just dropped - I have to select Battery type as USER to give me access to all those parameters. Cheers

I discovered the difference between the two apps myself yesterday whilst trying to work out why my Rover 40 is permanently in boost (14.4v) mode all the time and hence constantly over volting my newly bought 200Ah Lithium battery.

Decided DCHome didn't cut the mustard and used the old app to configure all the missing settings Lithium including the important ones like Temperature Compensation!

Are there any other 3rd party apps working with the BT1 yet?

Huge thank you for this writeup! Saved me lots of headscratching, swearing, and confusion!
I'm working on an RV Rover install and this gave me a running start.
And that setup password....not obvious you even need it until you need it! I would never have found that!

Back