diy solar

diy solar

Renogy DC to DC charger isolated?

mitchk1303

I was under the impression that the renogy 60 amp DC to DC charger was non isolating meaning the negative line would always be connected to chassis ground and thus provide my negative bus bar with a chassis ground (house system). My multiplus 3000, charge controller, etc are all chassis grounded to the negative bus bar. However when I did a resistance check on the negative in and negative out of the DC to DC charger I got 50kohms. Am I dumb and checking this the wrong way? I can't seem to get ahold of renogy to ask them.

If it is isolated then I will add a chassis ground bolt on my van. I just don't want to do this if it is not isolated because then I will have two paths to chassis ground which is bad from my understanding.

Anyone have any experience with this?

My understanding is it acts as a battery Isolator. It needs the negative wire on the output to sence battery voltage or it faults out.

Wait so once I connect it to my vehicle battery and my house battery it will be non isolating? I guess what I'm asking is will the ground loop between the house and the vehicle grounds be connected even when the vehicle is off and the DC to DC charger is off

There isn't any back feed to the chassis battery from the house battery when the DC-DC charger is off. Voltage/current only flows one way through the DC-DC charger.

There isn't any back feed to the chassis battery from the house battery when the DC-DC charger is off. Voltage/current only flows one way through the DC-DC charger.
Yeah I think I understand that. But there are non isolating DC to DC chargers where the negative connection between the chassis battery and the house battery is always complete even when the charger is off. I am wondering if when the charger is off if there is a disconnect between the negative of the chassis battery and the negative of house battery. I know on the positive side there is a disconnect when the charger is off.

I think its isolating.
You can verify this be checking for continuity between negative in and negative out.
non-isolating dc2dc chargers generally have a single negative labeled common.

I see what your saying you don't want all the current to flow to ground through the DC-DC charger if house battery main ground is lost.

Wait so once I connect it to my vehicle battery and my house battery it will be non isolating? I guess what I'm asking is will the ground loop between the house and the vehicle grounds be connected even when the vehicle is off and the DC to DC charger is off

Back