diy solar

diy solar

Renogy DCC50S charging issue

Roboto79

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place. Just installed a new DCC50s in my van. Currently have x2 Renogy LiFePo batteries, connection from my solar panels, and connection from the starter battery/alternator. The batteries aren't charging when I set the DCC50s to LI battery type, but seem to charge when I set it to SLA/Default. What am I doing wrong?

can you post a picture of how its wired.
Annotate the connections if necessary.

can you post a picture of how its wired.
Annotate the connections if necessary.

Attached pictures here. Can't annotate at the moment, so bear with me on the mess of wiring. It was done by the previous owner, who had a different charger in place. I can post more detailed pictures if necessary.

20200907_091840.jpg20200907_091840.jpg20200907_091758.jpg

I see the bvs leads are attached.
Which battery are the going to, house or starter?

Just below the charger in the picture. 2 feet at the most.

The bvs leads are likely not necessary and might actually be a problem.
I just looked at the charge profiles and if it was me I wouldn't have a problem with the SEALED/AGM profile
The float is a little bit high but other than that it looks good.
If you search the forums you will see many others reporting very similar problems.
I don't think a good remedy has been found.
If you find one in your search and it works please include a link to the here.

The bvs leads are likely not necessary and might actually be a problem.
I just looked at the charge profiles and if it was me I wouldn't have a problem with the SEALED/AGM profile
The float is a little bit high but other than that it looks good.
If you search the forums you will see many others reporting very similar problems.
I don't think a good remedy has been found.
If you find one in your search and it works please include a link to the here.

This is great insight. Thank you very much. If I find a good remedy, I will certainly post it here.

I've been looking at this charger for our van build as well, so am following. I've also watched many of the Will Prowse videos and remember some cases where if the Lithium batteries have their own internal temperature sensors, the BMS will usually handle temperature range protection. This means that you don't need to (or perhaps should not) use the temperature sensor input on the charger.
It looks like you may be using that input. If your environment is within normal charging temperatures for the battery at minimum you could test by disconnecting that sensor in case it is not working correctly. That may explain why it seems to charge on SLA, but not Lithium. I think the temperature sensor only comes into play for Lithium, so likely the charger ignores it when set to SLA. If you have not watched, I would check out the Will Prowse review of that unit and perhaps the one where he opens up the Renogy battery to show how it works.

I've been looking at this charger for our van build as well, so am following. I've also watched many of the Will Prowse videos and remember some cases where if the Lithium batteries have their own internal temperature sensors, the BMS will usually handle temperature range protection. This means that you don't need to (or perhaps should not) use the temperature sensor input on the charger.
It looks like you may be using that input. If your environment is within normal charging temperatures for the battery at minimum you could test by disconnecting that sensor in case it is not working correctly. That may explain why it seems to charge on SLA, but not Lithium. I think the temperature sensor only comes into play for Lithium, so likely the charger ignores it when set to SLA. If you have not watched, I would check out the Will Prowse review of that unit and perhaps the one where he opens up the Renogy battery to show how it works.

This is helpful! Thank you. I will check out Will's videos as well.

I have the battery type set to SLA at the moment and it seems to be working, but I can try removing the temp sensor from the charger and setting it back to Lithium to make sure it's set up appropriately.

I have the battery type set to SLA at the moment and it seems to be working, but I can try removing the temp sensor from the charger and setting it back to Lithium to make sure it's set up appropriately.

Let us know what happens.

Back