diy solar

diy solar

Renogy DCC50S charging issue

• you DO need to connect the temperature sensor to a lithium battery;
  • the charger WILL use that sensor to turn off the charging when temp drops to 1C and turn it back on when it rises to 3C; and

It might work that way but neither the manual or Renogy email response above states it conclusively, and they both had the chance to. It is clear they claim Li charging is cut off at 1C but does not say where the temp measurement is taken. The BTS is also not shown in the Typical Setup graphic on p11.

I think it would be prudent to affix the BTS probe to the battery but not trust it until someone tests the response of the unit when the controller is warm but the probe is exposed to <1C conditions.

I can say this...
The DCC50S does have an internal Thermometer. It will reduce or stop charging if the internal temp exceeds certain thresholds.
The DCDC will lower the output power when its internal temperature is in the range from 65℃ to 80℃. It will stop charging when the temperature is higher than 80℃, and recover to charge when the temperature is lower than 60℃.
I ran into this issue and now have a fan mounted on the unit that turns on with my 7 pin power. I do not use the external temp sensor.

Back