diy solar

diy solar

Renogy Devices and Raspberry Pi - bluetooth/WiFi

Hey all.

I've got HA, and an MQTT broker setup in AWS because of network issues at home. I have solar assistant in my van on a separate network. The broker is in the middle basically. I'm running into an issue with starting solar-monitor.py since adding in the broker. This is the error I get:

ERROR: Unable to set up datalogger
ERROR: timed out
Below is my setup with private stuff x'ed out

[monitor]
adapter = hci0
debug = False
temperature = C
reconnect = False
# C = Celsius
# K = Kelvin
# F = Farenheit

[renogy_battery_1]
type = RenogyBatt
mac = f4:60:77:48:1c:06
reconnect = True

[renogy_battery_2]
type = RenogyBatt
mac = f4:60:77:4a:69:3e
reconnect = True

[datalogger]
url = http://localhost/solar/api/
token = 39129e20be0503937cb72a5f719337cc

[mqtt]
# Address to the mqtt broker
broker = xxxx
username = xxxx
password = xxxx
hostname = xxxx
# All topics are prefixed by this prefix
# E.g. "solar/battery_1/voltage"
prefix = solar

I'm having a feeling it has something to do with the hostname entry, but I can't be sure because I'm not quite sure how to debug it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me with this.

Hey all.

I've got HA, and an MQTT broker setup in AWS because of network issues at home. I have solar assistant in my van on a separate network. The broker is in the middle basically. I'm running into an issue with starting solar-monitor.py since adding in the broker. This is the error I get:

ERROR: Unable to set up datalogger
ERROR: timed out
Below is my setup with private stuff x'ed out

[monitor]
adapter = hci0
debug = False
temperature = C
reconnect = False
# C = Celsius
# K = Kelvin
# F = Farenheit

[renogy_battery_1]
type = RenogyBatt
mac = f4:60:77:48:1c:06
reconnect = True

[renogy_battery_2]
type = RenogyBatt
mac = f4:60:77:4a:69:3e
reconnect = True

[datalogger]
url = http://localhost/solar/api/
token = 39129e20be0503937cb72a5f719337cc

[mqtt]
# Address to the mqtt broker
broker = xxxx
username = xxxx
password = xxxx
hostname = xxxx
# All topics are prefixed by this prefix
# E.g. "solar/battery_1/voltage"
prefix = solar

I'm having a feeling it has something to do with the hostname entry, but I can't be sure because I'm not quite sure how to debug it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me with this.
Found my issue. My broker was set to port 1833, and the default is 1883.

One more issue. I'm only seeing one battery in my HA. Do I need an individual ini for each device? It doesn't seem like it in the file. I don't see any reference to that in the documentation. Kinda hate the way it looks in HA. I'll be moving to grafana/prometheus.

Learned how to use the ui in HA to build better dashboards. I no longer hate it. Still having this issue though:

2024-03-01 07:55:35,398 WARNING : [renogy_battery_2] Write to characteristic failed for: [0000ffd1-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb] with error [Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.]

I didn't change the class, so I'm thinking I didn't break it. I see bluetooth is connecting to the battery fine in the logs, but it's not sending. It could be a timeout issue, but I'm not sure where to set that. poking around until I find it or someone tells me. need that second battery online.

Back