diy solar

diy solar

Renogy Lithium at 14.4 volts?

A solar controller for lead-acid that has a "timed" absorb, say of only 2 hours reaching 14.4v, and then automatically dropping back to a 13.6 float. Mostly to ensure that they don't overcharge lead-acid in non-cyclic applications. That would result in a less than full charge on the LFP batt.
I disagree.
I charge at 55.6 (13.9 <3.475>).
60 minutes of absorption at 55.6
I float at 54 (13.5 <3.375>).
I cycle every day.
I get full capacity from my 2 paralleled packs.
15.6-15.8 kwh
16 cell 150ah and 16 cell 160ah.
Works like a charm.

What’s everyone setting for their absorption time for Renogy lithium batteries? I have a Victron Orion DC/DC charger that I am using to charge my 100ah Renogy Lithium battery. I have the following settings:

Boost voltage: 14.4v
Float voltage: 13.6
Re-bulk offset: .3
Fixed absorption time: 1hr?

This seems to be working well, but worried the absorption time is too long. Is 1 hour too long? Don’t see anything from renogy about this. It just has a blank line on all their spec sheets.

Thanks

What’s everyone setting for their absorption time for Renogy lithium batteries? I have a Victron Orion DC/DC charger that I am using to charge my 100ah Renogy Lithium battery. I have the following settings:

Boost voltage: 14.4v
Float voltage: 13.6
Re-bulk offset: .3
Fixed absorption time: 1hr?

This seems to be working well, but worried the absorption time is too long. Is 1 hour too long? Don’t see anything from renogy about this. It just has a blank line on all their spec sheets.

Thanks
I was also wondering the same so long. I have the same settings. Renogy only states to have 14.4 Bulk, and no float or eq actually. But I have put a 13.6 float. I have 300 ah Renogy and so far I think they are doing well.

My problem is when I charge with the Orion, they don't get to 14.4v when charging, which is strange. I'm not sure if this is a problem and if it charges properly when it doesn't hit 14.4v, but only like 13.6-13.7. When I plug into shore power, the volts and currents does its job.

You would both do well to look at a few videos in his "Battery Tests" playlist. This will give you a more fulsome understanding of what's going on.

Sorry but this guy is a joke, do some research around the forum on him and Facebook groups. . He states that floating lithium damages them ?

Could get a lot more knowledge from a lot more people than him.

Sorry but this guy is a joke, do some research around the forum on him and Facebook groups. . He states that floating lithium damages them ?

You are exactly and completely wrong.
Why don't you just watch a 30 minute video of his and see if he is a joke or if he's real. I promise your eyes won't melt and your ears won't burn
Make your own decision don't rely on he said she said.
I like him because he's an experimenter he's testing things all the time trying things one way or the other answering all these questions that everybody has.

Never having watched him how would you know that.

And let me add, no one on YouTube is doing more complete and more extensive cell testing then Andy. No one.
If you are really interested in how these cells behave under charge or discharge watch his stuff.

A lot of folks hear about EV's not allowing or recommending doing a full charge because it damages battery and apply it to all lithium-ion batteries.

What is different about LFP cells is the positive cathode. LFP is the most rugged of all Li-Ion based battery cathode material. This is due to the vertical lattice support of the iron. Downside of LFP is the lower cell voltage compared to NCA/NMC cells.

NCA and NMC lithium ion battery suffer from cathode lattice collapse and damage at full charge when most of the lithium has left the cathode. NCA and NMC longevity is dominated by cathode degradation.

Full state of charge does expand the negative electrode graphite by about 11%. This does put stress on the solid electrolyte interface protective layer (SEI layer) causing it to fracture around the graphite. SEI regrows during subsequent recharging but it does consume a little electrolyte and free lithium. Thickening of SEI over time increases cell impedance and loss of free lithium reduces capacity over time. This is normal use wear on LFP cells. The purpose of SEI layer is to keep electrons from escaping graphite during charging and chemically combining with electrolyte, decomposing some of the electrolyte and taking free lithium out of circulation reducing capacity of cell.

Back