diy solar

diy solar

Renogy monitor shunt / monitor getting funny jumping numbers

OneStudPuppy

So it’s been about three days of this.(will post same video Renogy asked for)
Up until three days ago night time the monitor would show about .01 amps used 0 watts. This would be about what I would expect.
System is 100 watt Renogy panel, rover controller, Renogy monitor / shunt, 100ah ampere time battery. House lights all 4 LED 1 watt with all running, and 1 12v out and 2 usb plugs (power and lights hooked to controller switched out put)
Three days ago I notice with nothing at all on. Suddenly I’m seeing this monitor jumping around. (See video link)
Trailer hasn’t been moved since the install. Finishing up working on stuff to take a few trial runs.
Kinda lost but I’m sure many of you get that we follow what our system is doing and catch any quirks.system has been solid about 90 plus days now.
Anyone else have a similar basic system? Let’s compare numbers with EVERYTHING powered off except monitor and controller

Attachments

• A9D6A77A-9F67-45AF-96E9-C9B1D760467B.jpeg
    A9D6A77A-9F67-45AF-96E9-C9B1D760467B.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 4
To me it looks like your Rover is using about a watt just sitting there. You might lift the battery wire from the Rover and check the shunt reading to see if it drops to zero.

In my setup, I have an AiLi shunt and I had a spare controller that I would plug a couple of panels into when I set up camp. I found that my controller was using a little power all the time (when not in use) so I put a switch on the battery side to take it out of the circuit. I don't recall what the draw was but its little brain and display have to use something. I also don't put a lot of faith into the low current readings on the shunt.

Sort of apples/oranges, I found my old Wanderer and checked to see what it used. It pulled 12mA. Not sure if the 70mA that your Rover is drawing is normal or excessive. Again, I would lift the battery wire from it to see what the shunt reads.

Back