diy solar

diy solar

Renogy Rover 100% reading at 13.3%

lightmail

I am just setting up my controller. It has run a few days . It says 13.3 volts most of the time. But it says it is at 100%. It's going to be super sunny here in Seattle and I want to get this thing set up right. I have no loads what so ever just the main battery bank, inverter and fuses to future loads. I have seen charts that say 13.3 is 80 90% or so but this can't be 100%. What am I missing?

Are you using LiFePO4 battery? I believe that the SOC display is set for Lead Acid battery so it is not accurate + you cannot really go by the Voltage for SOC since LiFePO4 Voltage is pretty flat.

Thank you for response. Yes I am using lithium batteries, and the Renogy has settings for lithium. I have a shunt but can't set it till I have 100% in batteries and I am not sure how to go about that if I can't use the solar chargers 100% reading. I am missing something..

Thank you for response. Yes I am using lithium batteries, and the Renogy has settings for lithium. I have a shunt but can't set it till I have 100% in batteries and I am not sure how to go about that if I can't use the solar chargers 100% reading. I am missing something..
Is this in an RV and do you have another charger that can be used to bring the batteries to 100%?

Hi... This is a van with 400 watts solar and 2 100 ah batteries. I got my charger working and can use that. When it slowly starts shutting down to off, do I assume it's 100%? and then set or do I have to wait awhile?

Do you have a volt meter to validate what the controller is reading and that the batteries are in fact fully charged?

Do you have a volt meter to validate what the controller is reading and that the batteries are in fact fully charged?
I have validated voltage at battery and controller. How do I know that my batteries are 100%? When do you measure, at rest or under load? They read 13.3 at rest.

I'm a new member, also. I'm experiencing the same issue with my Renogy Rover 30 amp. The controller does not reach the boost voltage of 14.4V. My rover controller shows 100% battery at 13.3V while the Lion lithium battery shows 4 out of 5 LEDs and I verified the voltage reading with a multimeter. I sent pictures of the readings to Renogy Tech Support and I'm still waiting for an answer. Will share when I hear from them.

I’m also having the same issue with my new Renogy 30 amp controller. I talked to support and had me change the setting to “user” and manually enter all the info but I’m still showing 100% at 13.3 volts. I don’t think the charge controller will allow the battery to fully charge. Did you ever get your issue resolved?

There are issues with the Renogy controller displayed values.
The SOC is inacurate for all battery types, just ignore the reading for accurate results. It's useful as an approximate guide to state of charge.
Also the voltage reading isn't calibrated to an accurate degree and the resolution is not good enough for lithium batteries.

Any battery using display leds cannot be an accurate Indicator of SOC.

The voltage of 13.35 to 13.40 volts can be considered full for a lithium battery at rest.

Having the battery charged to slightly less than 'full' will significantly extend battery life.

With a small solar charging system and modest battery capacity, once the battery voltage exceeds 13.8 volts under charge you are over 90% charged.
Often cell imbalance will prevent the charger reaching a high boost, absorbtion, voltage. Lower the charge volts to give the BMS time to balance.

Mike

Right - so it is possible there is NO problem here by not achieving the CV/absorb value if the battery is already fully charged. Accurate or not, the "resting voltage" (no charge) is what may be confusing people when they see that in the display.

If the batteries are full, many charge circuits immediately detect that there is no need to go into CV/absorb, and drop to float or stop. (It senses this by measuring so-called the CV tail-current. If that tail current is low, it immediately drops out of CV if it has reached it for the first time, or has been allowed to time out.

Do a capacity test, or simply try to discharge it. Not necessarily to an empty LVD, but significant enough to force the recharge to reach your CV/absorb setting. (or boost, or whatever name they want to use for CV these days).

Back