diy solar

diy solar

Renogy Rover 40A Li - easy to fix?

Sverige

A Brit in Sweden
I have a Renogy Rover 40A MPPT charge controller which no longer wants to charge my 4S LiFePO4 battery. It will sometimes charge for nearly half an hour in the mornings, but then the charging current drops down to 0.07A or below. It’s never been stressed with more than around half the max rated 40A current, so hasn’t burned out.

One other clue is the display shows 13.5V battery voltage when the voltage reaching the battery terminals on the device is actually 13.7V. I’m wondering if it’s as simple as an electrolytic capacitor which has gone bad and needs changing?

It‘s about 18 months old and the Renogy warranty is 12 months, so I’m wondering whether to disassemble it and try to fix. Has anyone had one of these apart, or maybe fixed one with similar symptoms?

It will sometimes charge for nearly half an hour in the mornings, but then the charging current drops down to 0.07A or below.
Just to ask the simple question, but are the batteries full and it just doesn't need to send the juice to the batteries? Have you tried throwing a load on it and see if the SCC steps up its game?

Just to ask the simple question, but are the batteries full and it just doesn't need to send the juice to the batteries? Have you tried throwing a load on it and see if the SCC steps up its game?
Yes the battery is certainly nowhere near full. Problem occurs consistently at any battery SOC.

Back