diy solar

diy solar

Renogy Rover 40a MPPT: overpanelling?

solarstuff

Hey all.
My Renogy Rover Li 40a manual says max solar input is capped at 12V @ 520W, and max solar voltage at 100 VDC.
I have 6 100w panels.
I don't want to push or degrade my MPPT, but...ok I guess I was hoping someone had experience with my situation and could offer their wisdom.

Will I fry my MPPT, reduce its lifespan or should I just plain RTFM and get a second controller to split my panels up on?

That's fine. The power limit is more of a how much power can come out of the controller for your situation. 12V x 40A is 480W, figures improve as battery voltage rises.

Your array open circuit voltage needs to be considered. If you put all those panels in series you'd be exceeding the Rover's maximum voltage rating (from memory). You'd have to do a series-parallel configuration. If you like post the specs for your panels or link to the web page for them and someone will be able to tell you how to wire up the array. Odds on the Voc (open circuit voltage) for the panels is around 22V so with 6 panels you would probably do 3s2p, 3 in series, and then parallel those sets for an array Voc of 66V.

Back