diy solar

diy solar

Renogy Rover 60a charge controller and Sok batteries...

SV Angel

Good morning everyone,

I have a few questions, the first and I suspect most important is about state of charge. I have four 100ah Sok lithium ion phosphate batteries that I will be connecting in series as one 48v battery bank. As I understand it I have to make sure that their state of charge is the same before connecting them, I don't know what this really means or how to do it.
I have a Renogy Rover 60a charge controller and I'm wondering if I can connect each battery one at a time till they are each fully charged, would that make their state of charge be correct assuming they all wind up at the same voltage? I have read a good bit about state of charge and it's flat out way over my head.
The second question is about the charge controller, Renogy says it will automatically sense the battery bank and set it self up correctly, this is great, but then they go on to say that I might need to change these settings for a number of reasons, once again, way over my head. Will it do the right thing, and if not, what do I do about it? I think I'm missing information but I am not sure what it is.
I think I am leave it at that for now, I have a lot of other questions, but I'm a bit overwhelmed and don't want to make it worse, I'm used to 12v systems and normal flooded lead acid batteries in parallel, and it seems like everything is different suddenly.

Thanks for any help you can offer, I think I need it, I may just be over thinking things.

Cheers!
Neil

I forgot to mention this is all going on Angel who is being converted from a diesel engine to a 10kw Thunderstruck electric motor...
I will also be adding an AirX Silent 48v wind generator to this as well, but I don't want to oversaturate my already shorted out and partially melted brain.
My wife, who's boat this was was a brilliant mechanic and marine electrician, I'm basically pretending I'm her, or that's she's somehow able to make sure I'm not being an idiot from the great beyond.

Cheers again!
Neil

My simple sums suggest a 48 volt 10kW motor will pull 200 amps at maximum power, have I
I misunderstood the application?

With the charging I would charge each separately as a 12v battery then connect all 4 in parallel and connect to the charger again, ( perhaps after a slight discharge of the parallel pack)

The SOK battery is good for 50 amp charge and 100 amp discharge maximum.

The default setting for LFP lithium in the Rover will be OK as an initial setting but you may have to set user values for optimum performance.

Without a deeper understanding of the application my initial thoughts are that SOK batteries is series may not be the ideal setup for a motor drive application. I suggest you test each battery individually for capacity and current delivery at that expected .

Mike

Thank you Mike, that actually helps a lot. The motor wanting 200amps and the batteries only wanting to put out 100 worries me a bit and I will have to do some reading. I'm sort of at task saturation level at the moment so I will wait on that for a bit till my brain stops spinning.
Thank you again, that's some important stuff and I could have missed it and don't something stupid.

Cheers!

Back