diy solar

diy solar

Renogy Smart Lithium RBT100LFP12S Activation Switch Pinout (Solved)

perpetual

Anyone who owns a Renogy Smart Lithium RBT100LFP12S
Do you know the Activation Switch pinout ? (I don't have a switch)
As per manual "The Activation Switch is used to switch the battery (BMS) between active and shelf mode"
Renogy-Activation-Switch-02.jpgRenogy-Activation-Switch-01.jpg

Popped the top off the battery
Picture of the BMS board UP port connection

UP-port.jpg

SW PCB pads
left is connected to RJ45 pin 3
right is connected to RJ45 pin 4

Multimeter measurements:
battery voltage between RJ45 pin 2 (+13.4V) and RJ45 pin 4 (-ve)
no voltage between RJ45 pin 3 and RJ45 pin 4

I've tried shorting RJ45 pins 3 & 4 for 3 seconds (to simulate a normally open (NO) push button switch) but doesn't seem to put battery in shelf mode

From manual:

Activation Switch Operation

The battery can be switched between active mode and shelf mode with the Activation Switch.
When the battery is in shelf mode, connect the Activation Switch to the RS485 UP Communica-
tion Port of the battery and press the Power Button. The dim blue LED light on the Power
Button will become bright blue to indicate that the battery has been successfully switched to
active mode. Please check the battery voltage to validate an active battery.

Prior to long periods of storage, disconnect the battery from the system, connect the Activation
Switch to the RS485 UP Communication Port of the battery, and long press the Power Button
for 3 seconds to switch the battery to shelf mode. The bright blue LED indicator will become dim
blue to indicate that the battery has been switched to shelf mode. In shelf mode, the battery has
a low self-discharge rate and can hold the charge for a longer period of time.

Last edited:
Found the correct RJ45 UP port pins
Pins 2 and 3 have the NO (normally open) switch connected to it
Battery will now go into shelf mode (low discharge) and active mode without the official Renogy Activation Switch
(used an old network cable and soldered a NO switch between pins 2 & 3)

Last edited:
Just checking here... Pin 2 and 3 is listed as rs485 a and b pins in the Renogy document "Lithium Iron BMS Modbus Protocol v1.17"

Are you sure shorting them is ok?

Just checking here... Pin 2 and 3 is listed as rs485 a and b pins in the Renogy document "Lithium Iron BMS Modbus Protocol v1.17"

Are you sure shorting them is ok?
Sorry I noticed that the referenced document have reversed the pin numbering compared to the ethernet pin numbers.

It makes sense then.

The document lists the pins as:

Pin 8 (1) is NC (left pin looking down on flat side, orientation cable down)
Pin 7 (2) is O/F (12v+) 200mA capacity
Pin 6 (3) is O/F
Pin 5 (4) is 12V-
Pin 4 (5) is GND (power/communication ground)
Pin 3 (6) is B (RS485 bus signal)
Pin 2 (7) is A (RS485 bus signal)
Pin 1 (8) is NC (idle, other functions are not allowed)

So driving pin 3 (O/F) high seems to toggle the device.

On the button pin 7 (2) is wired to the + and top connector driving the led and the switch.
Pin 6 (3) is wired to the other (closing) switch.
Pin 5 (4) is wired to "12V-". I guess it's 0V.

@Karl Pihlblad
Each time I read your reply above I get more muddled re which orientation you are referring to :)
I would like to make a new switch so if I cut up a spare cat 5 cable which (when looking at the picture below with the tab at the bottom) are the two pins to put a switch across? Thanks

rj45_1.gif

@perpetual
My understanding is pin one is on the left in the picture I posted above so do you mean you connected your switch across the Orange and Green/White?
Thanks

Back