diy solar

diy solar

Renogy to RockPals 300W Power Station

jobiespal

I recently purchased both items after watching your reviews on YouTube. The problem is that I can't seem to get the charge controller on the Renogy panels to recognize it is connected to the RockPals battery, so wondering if the MC4 cable is bad or if the Renogy 12V system isn't compatible with RockPals meaning it needs an 18v system? Please help, bought both to support upcoming dry camping trip.

According to:

Solar Input Charging18V, 60W-100W

indicates Solar panel voltage 12.75±0.075V

I recently purchased both items after watching your reviews on YouTube. The problem is that I can't seem to get the charge controller on the Renogy panels to recognize it is connected to the RockPals battery, so wondering if the MC4 cable is bad or if the Renogy 12V system isn't compatible with RockPals meaning it needs an 18v system? Please help, bought both to support upcoming dry camping trip.
Hi @jobiespal, welcome to the forum.

Based on your statement about the Renogy panels having a charge controller I am assuming you bought one of their suitcase units that have a PWM charge controller attached. You don't need the charge controller on the panels because the Rockpals already has one built-in. It doesn't work because it's not connecting directly to a battery, it's connecting to the input of another charge controller.

It should be pretty easy to get you up and running. All you have to do is bypass the Renogy charge controller on the back of the panels. I described how to do this in another post back in February: click here to see the post. Take a look and see if that gets you working.

Last edited:
Back