diy solar

diy solar

renogy vs victron ecosystem. Which one is superior?

sqenixs

I've been doing research into which company's products I want to go with for my vehicle solar setup and am still torn right now. Both seem pretty decent but it seems like the renogy products might be a little less mainstream since I find more trouble getting information about them.

I'm looking for a solar charge controller and associated equipment that would allow for < 100W total of solar and connect it up to my car battery (AGM for now). I'm most interested in the ability to gather data/analytics about the setup, either through a data port or some other means. The victron is seems allows for this with their IoT wifi setup using some kind of VE.bus thing and a wifi device (not sure about using a cable), and the renogy supports something as well. I think they both have apps. I can't really find any information about a communication interface or something for example if I wanted to connect the system to my own raspberry pi. Anybody have thoughts one way or the other?

Basically what I want is:

- ability to check the status of my setup from my phone or PC anywhere in the world that I have internet access
- the data and control of my system is secure/protected

I can't speak to renogy, but Victron is awesome. It logs everything to VRM, and you download it however you like.

It's just damn expensive.

As to your two wants:

It also gives me active control over everything. I can change settings on any connected devices, inverter, SCC and battery monitor.

If cost is not a consideration I cannot imagine anyone picking Renogy over Victron.

I can't speak to renogy, but Victron is awesome. It logs everything to VRM, and you download it however you like.

As to your two wants:

It also gives me active control over everything. I can change settings on any connected devices, inverter, SCC and battery monitor.
What if I want to store the data on my own server?

True, but it doesn't provide much information (solar panel voltage, battery voltage, battery current, a mostly useless SOC meter etc) and you can't do most of the configuration via it either beyond the very basics. A smart series Victron with a smartphone running the app is far superior, as is accessing the Renogy with a smartphone for that matter.

FYI Victron's products are actually theirs. Renogy badge engineers. The Rovers and accessories are made by SRNE as are other models. I haven't looked at the full range but if its not SRNE, Renogy will be badging some other brand there too.

I was not going to use Victron in my build. But I decided to and do not regret it. As far as expense, yes its more money but you have great support and in the long run its not that much more.

Greg

I guess I'm out of my mind then
I was not born with a cell phone attached to me and have know plan to have it on me all the time.

Greg

Unless I’m missing something the SmartSolar pluggable display was designed for people not born with a cell phone attached as you describe.

Being 50, I'm clearly not born with one attached; however, I find it personally immensely useful TO ME. I don't do FB, IG, Twit, etc., but having a pocket computer with internet access on my hip is one of the most useful things I've ever had especially when it can tell me everything I want to know about my off-grid system from 3.5 hours away.

I put a display on my 250/100. I just like checking it with a glance whenever I’m walking by. Looks nice too.

Victron. Unless price is your primary concern. Then Victron anyway.
Agreed. Victron seems to have a lot of unnecessary features. At least they seem unnecessary until you actually start implementing the system and realize the truth is that lower cost vendors leave out important features that you really wish they supported.

How many threads have we seen from people looking for a way to add a programmable low voltage disconnect to their "cheap" inverters? Turns out that feature is not as "unnecessary" as it might have seemed to someone when they first started down this path.

I have yet to see anybody post that they regret choosing Victron.

As to your two wants:

Do not buy from renogy buy from victron energy or anybody else but renogy they are a horrible company to deal with if you have any issue you have to call China Direct and they talk to you like robots and they do not follow through with anything they say all they do is make excuses they want to keep your money and have you give up do not buy from renogy

I can't believe thats actually a question. Renology is at best a tier 2 reseller of various chinese manufacturers products with their label slapped on it. And half of it dips down into the tier 3 grade.

Victron is so much better in every way, except for price. And it's very true you get what you pay for.

Back