diy solar

diy solar

Renogy Wanderer 10amp Charge controller charging behavior on lithium setting

Brainwater

Hey Everyone, I can't seem to find an answer via google, so I thought I might ask here:
I purchased a 10 amp Renogy wanderer charge controller to connect a 250 watt panel to a 24 volt lifepo4 battery.
When you configure the charge controller battery type to lithium, you can set the "charge voltage". The default is 14.2 (which doubles with 24 volt configuration).
So, I suppose what I want to know is, what happens with this controller once the charge voltage is reached? Does it just hold the battery at this voltage, or does it stop charging altogether and start charging again once the voltage drops down to the "boost return voltage"?
The manual doesn't explain it well, so I thought perhaps someone here knows for sure what this controller does on the lithium battery setting.

There is likely a boost duration setting. This is the period of time it will hold the boost voltage. Then it will drop to float.

30 minutes at 28.4V should be good.
Float at 27V.

Float is where the charger will provide current to hold the battery from going below 27V. Float is what enables the MPPT to provide current for loads

Load drops battery voltage, MPPT provides current to hold voltage and power the load.

There is likely a boost duration setting. This is the period of time it will hold the boost voltage. Then it will drop to float.

30 minutes at 28.4V should be good.
Float at 27V.

Float is where the charger will provide current to hold the battery from going below 27V. Float is what enables the MPPT to provide current for loads

Load drops battery voltage, MPPT provides current to hold voltage and power the load.
Great info, thanks. This particular unit is super basic, and does not have a boost duration setting. Just the "charge voltage".
(although you can connect a bluetooth unit(which I don't have) which might give access to additional settings).

If you can, select Sealed. It's a better option than Lithium. Lithium does not have float.

After looking at that manual, it's pretty much the bottom of the barrel. If you care about your LFP battery, I'd replace it.

Back