diy solar

diy solar

Replace car battery with LiFePO4?

I have an 11 reg Hyundia i10 which I keep in my garage overnight and a few weeks ago due to my grandson not shutting a door properly an interior light was left on until the battery went flat. I managed to jump start it then went my 2 miles to get some shopping, made my wife do the shopping while I sat outside with the engine running then when I got home I put the car in the garage and put the battery on a charger overnight and the next day it started OK. Someone, there's always someone, says that as the battery is now 10 years old I should replace it but I never have problems with the car starting because I keep it in the garage, I've still got a 10 year old can of de-icer. At the moment my weekly mileage is about 10 miles but I've been charging the battery once a week and never had any bother starting the car. So should I replace the battery or not?
This isn't exactly the best place to ask this question. A new thread would have been better.

But short answer, yes, its time to replace it. Getting 10 years out of a car battery is a feat in-itself. Your grandson not shutting the car door was the last nail in the coffin.

I suggest instead to install a solar trickle charge and desulfator. Even trickle charger by itself should slow down sulfation as sulfation only develops when battery is discharged. Permanently attached desulfator will keep breaking up fresh sulfation from daily driving. It wont break down the old hardened sulfation.

Where I live, batteries go out in 2 years like clockwork, but they still warranty them for the same time that they do everywhere else, so you get half (or so) of the price back when you replace it as long as you get it from the same place you bought the old one from. I cant imagine putting an expensive lithium battery in to replace it.

Back