diy solar

diy solar

Replace inverter System on 2008 Monaco

Phil F

I need help converting Cummins Onan 8000 generator 3 phase into a new inverter system . I have installed 2250W residential solar panels with 1100 watts of pylon tech 48 volt rack system batteries. Our coach has a large 12V requirement to the intellitech system. It has 3 1500 BTU. AC units with soft starts. Any help and information is greatly appreciated… thank you.

Hello fellow Monacoer! I have. 2000 Dynasty. Which model do you have?

I am a little confused on your post. But from what I guess, you are looking at changing the the inverter on the rig? Which one do you have?

Did you keep the 12v house battery?

I used a Victron Multiplus when my inverter had troubles. Now I would use the Multiplus II. It should be easier to setup. I like Victron and now have lots of stuff from them.

A lot depends on how much you want to run at once on the inverter. With one 3000 inverter you can run one high load item - microwave, hair dryer or a single A/C. But a medium load added will overload the inverter (toaster).

You could stack (if you have room and batteries), and have two 5000 Quattro’s or two 3000 Multiplus’s. That would enable two to four high powered items on at once, then the issue becames batteries and solar.

My thoughts are if I need the run the bedroom A/C more than 30 minutes, turn on the generator and run both.

The batteries you added is that 1100amps at 48v?

Good Luck

I need help converting Cummins Onan 8000 generator 3 phase into a new inverter system . I have installed 2250W residential solar panels with 1100 watts of pylon tech 48 volt rack system batteries. Our coach has a large 12V requirement to the intellitech system. It has 3 1500 BTU. AC units with soft starts. Any help and information is greatly appreciated… thank you.
Thank you Rocketman, i have the onan hybrid system which I’ve been told was only used in 07-08? The generator is 3 phase feeding the inverter. I can wire to a spilt phase to continue using this i guess. My pylontech 48 volt batteries are 11 k in useable storage with 2250kw i just installed on solar. I’m looking at the 6000 growatt inverter now then removing my 4-u16 batts and installing another inverter 12 volt to run by large 12 volt intellitec load, I’m an 08 dynasty 44’ with 3 -15,000 watt ac’s, 2 are on soft start, my load prior to soft start install was 16 amps@110 volt now 6-8 amps.

What have you already purchased?
Please post a picture of your ac/dc distribution panel with the door open so we can see the breakers, fuses and their mappings.

I need help converting Cummins Onan 8000 generator 3 phase into a new inverter system .
A 3 phase generator in an RV doesn't make a lot of sense.
Not saying its impossible just that I've never seen such a thing.

I’m not able to send the requested info as power is totally removed from coach, the dc system is in a wardrobe closet, with slides closed unable to get in.The generator is an 8hqdpa-5480b

That’s weird that a 3-phase generator was installed. Unless somehow they were cheaper than the 120/240v generators at the time. That’s when Monaco was having severe financial issues.

What are your old inverter/inverters do you have one, two or three of them? Also what is the transfer switch?

My guess is even if you have a 3-phase generator only two legs were hooked up to the transfer switch- that way there is no issues when you connect to shore 50a connection which is 120/240v.

Rather than replacing the 12v house batteries with a 48v-12v Dc-Dc converter, you may want to leave (a smaller) 12v battery in. Then when the slide or other heavy 12v draw items need power they can use both power from the converter and draw down the battery too.

That’s weird that a 3-phase generator was installed. Unless somehow they were cheaper than the 120/240v generators at the time. That’s when Monaco was having severe financial issues.

What are your old inverter/inverters do you have one, two or three of them? Also what is the transfer switch?

My guess is even if you have a 3-phase generator only two legs were hooked up to the transfer switch- that way there is no issues when you connect to shore 50a connection which is 120/240v.

Rather than replacing the 12v house batteries with a 48v-12v Dc-Dc converter, you may want to leave (a smaller) 12v battery in. Then when the slide or other heavy 12v draw items need power they can use both power from the converter and draw down the battery too.
Rocketman I’ve decided to leave the onan inverter system complete for now, install the 6000 watt growatt inverter, with my lithium batts should be good satisfying all 120 volt loads, later i will change out 12 volt, thanks

Back