diy solar

diy solar

Replacement for Fronius IG 4000

On your bad unit, I would disconnect the AC and DC power feeds from the upper power module. They are spade connectors on the left side of the modules. Make sure those feeds are taped up well before re-energizing. That should remove the problem module and hopefully allow your DC breaker to stay on. You won't need to disconnect the communications ribbon cable either, since the module won't have power. If the unit powers up, it'll complain about the missing module but will do about 2600W with the remaining module.

Upper module is entirely gone. Just a hanging unplugged ribbin cable. And the 4 lugs are hanging there, unconnected. Saw no reason to leave the odorous components.
I will meddle as the sun goes down for the day.

Did the break apart, lower power board had burnt sections of pcb, beyond repair.
So I cleaned up the carbon soot, put the good board back in and now get a State 431.
Manual I have doesn't show that as a code.

Last edited:
Found this ...
STATE 431All power stacks are in boot modeInternal faultIf problem persists contact your Fronius Service Partner

Do I let this go for some time in expectation that the board I have will run after some time ?

You might try powering it on and off a few times to see if it ever completes it's boot, but I don't think waiting once it shows the error is going to help. Once you have it powered down, let it rest a few minutes before trying again. Unfortunately, a boot error is a bad. You might want to double-check the comm cable connections - make sure a pin didn't get bent or something like that.

You might try powering it on and off a few times to see if it ever completes it's boot, but I don't think waiting once it shows the error is going to help. Once you have it powered down, let it rest a few minutes before trying again. Unfortunately, a boot error is a bad. You might want to double-check the comm cable connections - make sure a pin didn't get bent or something like that.
Only thing of note is that the daisy chain ribbon cable now has one end unconnected. And the board in the unit has been moved to the other position in the case. So the power board that was at the end of the ribbon is now in the middle position with the end open. Other than that the display works, no message other than the State 431.

The open end of the cable won't matter, I've done that. I didn't think the cable position should make a difference, but I don't know that for sure. There are dip switches on the power modules for setting module 0 and module 1, so it's possible. Rather than messing with those, try plugging the end of the comm cable into the good power module instead of the mid-point connector that's there now.

Dark now, need pv input to test. Maybe I just need to make it see board 0. Dip switch on removed module was burnt to crisp. Do you know the purpose of those switches ?

I don't know about the switches, other than noticing that on my modules one of them was up and one was down. I had concluded at the time that it was the address setting for the module, but I don't recall what else led me to thinking that. I can dig up some pictures if need be to find out which switch it was, but in the meantime the easiest would be to try swapping the cable connectors.

I have my second IG5100 still running fine. Last switch on left is down on top board and up on lower board. So I put my only board IG switch up. That leaves all 4 of my dip switches in the up position. Error 431 gone, now 514 -- one power stage not running. Power: Low as well
This might be the trick, still dark, cloudy.

That's good! You fixed it. Error 514 will show when it can only find one module. The best part is you don't even need to clear the error. When it boots up to sunlight in the morning, it will go through it's normal routine and then start making power. It leaves the error on the screen so you know about it.

I see all the 240vac on the mains lines. I see 370 volts DC on the dc+ to dc- terminals. But I get Power Low and the errors for whatever reason still prevent production. From the dc voltage I see no current being drawn so its dead from that perspective. 370v stays there with dc breaker off and then after 5 minutes of on and messages flowing. It will now power up with either dip switch setting and up or down, still no inverting happening. Putting it to bed for now. I get almost full production attaching the strings to the working IG5100. So 4 strings of 11 panels (225w) into the one good inverter. It will push a full 5k mid-day. So my daily tally can only be down at most 5k out a normal 120k with the whole plant.

How do you determine which stack is malfunctioning? I’m only getting 1500w out of my Fronius of 4000. Typically got 3000-3500 w.

Go into SETUP and scroll down to STATE. Hit enter and scroll through the 2 options there - PS00 and PS01. It will say RUN for the good one, and N.I. for the one that's offline.

Back