diy solar

diy solar

Replacing Growatt SPF 5000ES with Deye 5kw

RSahan

Hi Everyone,
I got a Growatt SPF 5000ES + 9x540w panels + Lifepo4 48v 280ah pack powering the house with the help of the grid.
Exporting to grid is not allowed where I live so the current setup is very simple,
1. Grid is connected to AC in of Growatt
2. House is connected to AC out of Growatt.
PV charges the batteries and supplies the power requirements of the house in the daytime. Growatt uses the battery to supply power in the nighttime. SBU priority.

Now I have been thinking about replacing the Growatt SPF5000ES with Deye 5KW because of the longer warranty and IP65. Working mode needs to stay exactly the same of Growatt.
So to make The Deye work like the Growatt, Should I,

1. Connect the grid to AC in of Deye
2. Connect house load to AC out(Backup load in the image below) of Deye
3. Set the mode to "Zero export to load"?

1658136127102.png

From what I understand I can use Zero Export to CT as well but this mode is complicated. All I want is SBU priority just like MPP solar/Growatt inverters and not sell back to grid at all.

Please help me understand what setting to use for this purpose.

The zero export to ct allows your homes loads in the main panel to use solar battery and grid power at the same time if solar and battery or inverter max output isn’t enough for the load. There’s no switching modes. Zero export to Ct also allows the install to be much simpler. The critical loads panel can be much smaller to simply have the very critical loads in it for rare power outages. Also with zero export to Ct the battery capacity can be much cheaper with less capacity to only handle the majority of the load. Loads surges are handled by the grid when using zero export to Ct. the inverter is operating as a grid tie inverter would.

Thanks for your reply @Cheap 4-life But power outages are common where I live. Currently, there are daily power cuts going on which last 3 hours a day. So do you think Zero export to load is the best option? One thing to note is that I got the Growatt SPF5000ES installed already with the breakers etc so I just need a drop-in replacement.

Thanks for your reply @Cheap 4-life But power outages are common where I live. Currently, there are daily power cuts going on which last 3 hours a day. So do you think Zero export to load is the best option? One thing to note is that I got the Growatt SPF5000ES installed already with the breakers etc so I just need a drop-in replacement.
Imo if there’s a grid connection available for most of the time then zero export to Ct is the way to do it.
But you might want to have a larger critical loads panel with all or most of your homes loads. So if you already spent the extra money on that and the extra money for a battery bank that can run your entire house for extended periods of time, and the extra money for an inverter that can cover your highest surges then instead doing zero export to load might be a better option for ya.

Last edited:
Imo if there’s a grid connection available most of the time then zero export to Ct is the way to do it.
But you might want to have a larger critical loads panel with all or most of your homes loads. So if you already spent the extra money on that and the extra money for a battery bank that can run your entire house for extended periods of time, and the extra money for an inverter that can cover your highest surges then instead doing zero export to load might be a better option for ya.
Thank you for the help @Cheap 4-life . Do you also happen to know if it is possible to connect my 9 x 540w panels to 1 PV1 (MPPT 1) input and leave PV2 empty? VoC and Amps are within the allowed range. It is just that I'm not sure if I can only use PV1 and leave PV2 empty.

I already have the 9-panel string wired up so don't want to break it up and rewire it.

You can connect all your panels on the PV1 input and leave PV2 empty.

The use of critical load (well, backup load on Deye diagram) or not depends of how much load can handle your PV + batteries during an outage.

Personally, I don't use backup load but only load : inverter makes no distinction if power comes from the grid or PV or batteries, it supplies all the load

Last edited:
The zero export to ct allows your homes loads in the main panel to use solar battery and grid power at the same time if solar and battery or inverter max output isn’t enough for the load. There’s no switching modes. Zero export to Ct also allows the install to be much simpler. The critical loads panel can be much smaller to simply have the very critical loads in it for rare power outages. Also with zero export to Ct the battery capacity can be much cheaper with less capacity to only handle the majority of the load. Loads surges are handled by the grid when using zero export to Ct. the inverter is operating as a grid tie inverter would.
What is the purpose of zero export to load?

Thank you for the help @Cheap 4-life . Do you also happen to know if it is possible to connect my 9 x 540w panels to 1 PV1 (MPPT 1) input and leave PV2 empty? VoC and Amps are within the allowed range. It is just that I'm not sure if I can only use PV1 and leave PV2 empty.

I already have the 9-panel string wired up so don't want to break it up and rewire it.
Its my understanding that each pv input has a 500v input mppt

Thank you. so which setting would you suggest for an off grid no grid tie situation? Because when deye updated me they changed my setting from zero export to load to zero export to ct(in a split phase 3 phase system)
If your offgrid then Cts are not needed. The inverter should be used in offgrid mode. Meaning it supplies power out of its AC out. When used with Cts it’s different, it acts like a grid tie inverter supplying power to the main panel directly using its ACinput instead as an output.

You need to be clear about what your power company will allow.
I believe that in the UK moving from a Growatt SPF5000ES to a Deye 5kW would be very difficult as one would need to obtain G99 permission as the zero export function would mean nothing (after all, there is nothing to stop you from changing it to export power). A solar panel installer informed me that once G9X permission is required the power company gets very interested in the rest of the setup (e.g. whether the solar panels are on the approved list). I am looking at using a pair of Growatt SPF5000ES to power my house off-grid to avoid this level of inspection from the electricity provider; they will draw up to 8kW off-peak (one does not need permission to connect an oven or kettle, so why this lithium battery charger) ) and never push power back to the grid.

Hi Everyone,
I got a Growatt SPF 5000ES + 9x540w panels + Lifepo4 48v 280ah pack powering the house with the help of the grid.
Exporting to grid is not allowed where I live so the current setup is very simple,
1. Grid is connected to AC in of Growatt
2. House is connected to AC out of Growatt.
PV charges the batteries and supplies the power requirements of the house in the daytime. Growatt uses the battery to supply power in the nighttime. SBU priority.

Now I have been thinking about replacing the Growatt SPF5000ES with Deye 5KW because of the longer warranty and IP65. Working mode needs to stay exactly the same of Growatt.
So to make The Deye work like the Growatt, Should I,

1. Connect the grid to AC in of Deye
2. Connect house load to AC out(Backup load in the image below) of Deye
3. Set the mode to "Zero export to load"?

View attachment 102991

From what I understand I can use Zero Export to CT as well but this mode is complicated. All I want is SBU priority just like MPP solar/Growatt inverters and not sell back to grid at all.

Please help me understand what setting to use for this purpose.
I have a question. Do you use a transformer. Is your setup split phase, single or 3 phase? I am also considering changing to a Deye 8k

Reactions: Rho
With the on-grid setup, when the grid goes down, your AC output goes down too, even with export set to 0. Depending on the inverter, the battery may supply AC to the priority load, but not to the whole house. Don't mess with grid injection, better buy a spare Growatt.

Reactions: Rho
Back