diy solar

diy solar

Replacing House Bank

Hi Mike,
Sorry for the late response I have been in California trying to move my Mom in the fire madness around Santa Rosa. I built an 4s2p 12v system with Xuba 280ah cells for 560 total ah. Should be plenty of power. I wanted to stay with 12v because everything was already running on 12v, refrigeration, electronics etc. We are installing a Victron MultiPlus Inverter charger as well to give us all of the AC we will need to be happy completely off-grid while Coastal cruising. We are heading to Mexico and parts south in the next year. I made a number of small changes along the way and basically rewired most of not all of the basic connections around the old battery bank and windlass runs. Distribution Panel was mostly all left alone with the exception of a new Victron BMV-712 monitor. We really like all of the available Bluetooth information available to what is happing within our system. Need to get her off the dock for awhile to really test the system in action. Have not been plugged into shore power yet, just Solar charging. Haven't connected the Wind Gen yet. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you.

Attachments

• Final Battery.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 19
Thanks for the reply. It's always great to be able to talk to someone with similar build. I agree with sticking to 12 volts much easier to keep all your equipment. I am going to try to make 4 100 amp hour batteries with 4 bms. I want to be able to take one battery down if something was to go wrong and still keep my system running. I have 16 cells on there way now?. I am happy to hear that you will have ac ?. I hope all is going well in Cali. My mother's lives out there to in Anaheim ca. I see the news about all the fires ?. I hope we can stay in touch and would love to have you help me with and any question I might have . Can't wait to hear about your travels on the boat.

I'm also in the process of converting a 500Ah Gel battery bank to LiFePO4 on a 55ft sailboat. I'm thinking of using the same batteries as Mondo (280Ah Xuba) and go for a 8s3p setup. I'm looking at this BMS:

The plan is to make 3 8s batteries, and each battery would have a 100A BMS. These separate batteries would go into the existing battery box and I would put them in parallel to reach the capacity (840Ah). Any thoughts on this? The alternative would be to make 4S6P setup or something with 6 BMS's controlling each 4 cells on 12V.

Charging 24V:
  • Victron Centaur 24/60amp
  • Victron Quattro 25V 5000VA 120Amp.
  • Alternator 100Amp

Main loads:
  • Inverter 110V: Victron Phoenix 24V 750VA
  • Inverter 220V: Victron Quattro 24V 5000VA
  • Analytic systems VTC 600 DC/DC 24->12V converter for SSB radio: 40A
  • Bow thruster: 200A fuse, 330A max peak
  • Winches: 200A fuse, 330A max peak

Back