diy solar

diy solar

Replacing my Hymer camper van’s lithium batteries. Plug and play?

No. I'm working with a ram bro master period but I'm pretty familiar with the internals of the engine and could at least use the Hymer as reference

No. I'm working with a ram bro master period but I'm pretty familiar with the internals of the engine and could at least use the Hymer as reference
The hymer has very complicated electrics.
Did you see the diagram earlier in the thread?

FYI, I decided to replace the majority of the electrical systems and have purchased the new Victron Multiplus, Cerbo with touch display, REC Active BMS, Wakespeed regulator, and 16 280 ah cells from Amy. I'll update the thread as I move forward, but should have everything but the batteries by the end of this upcoming week. Battery cells will be here by the end of the month per Amy.

FYI, I decided to replace the majority of the electrical systems and have purchased the new Victron Multiplus, Cerbo with touch display, REC Active BMS, Wakespeed regulator, and 16 280 ah cells from Amy. I'll update the thread as I move forward, but should have everything but the batteries by the end of this upcoming week. Battery cells will be here by the end of the month per Amy.
Its your money and I thank you for your contribution to the economy. ;)

Its your money and I thank you for your contribution to the economy. ;)
Your original post of "Sounds like a huge waste of money." before you changed it to the above was not helpful. Your earlier post on this thread on Monday of not knowing what a Balmer actually regulates indicates to me you don't have much experience with this kind set up. I could be mistaken though as I don't know you and will reserve judgement about your knowledge base and the worth of your opinion on the subject matter. Perhaps you could elaborate on how you would have approached the situation of wanting bulletproof reliability, granular control of variables, and a much larger battery bank? That kind of post would be very helpful and contribute in a meaningful way to others on the board.

Perhaps you could elaborate on how you would have approached the situation of wanting bulletproof reliability, granular control of variables, and a much larger battery bank?
I would have inventoried what you have and verified its configuration.
Then determined what you need starting with an energy audit.
Then create a solution based on requirements.

Last edited:
I would have inventoried what you have and verified its configuration.
Then determine what you need starting with an energy audit.
Then create a solution based on requirements.?
Do you actually have specific recommendations based on the information presented? What I really want to know is what specific aspect of my new build you would have changed in the interest of not being a "huge waste of money". Let me know if you need any additional information about my old/new setup and what my goals are for the build. I have no problem with you being critical if you have actually have something useful to say. If not, move on.

Do you actually have specific recommendations based on the information presented?
No, I suspect that starter batteries and the house batteries are not in parallel.
Will you please check that detail?
That would be a first step in the inventory and configuration validation.

These are both marine links but full of excellent safety info. The second link talks about balmar alternators towards the bottom

No, I suspect that starter batteries and the house batteries are not in parallel.
Will you please check that detail?
That would be a first step in the inventory and configuration validation.
They are not in parallel as stated in the original post. Feel free to private message me if you need further details if you have a sincere interest in helping rather than making useless negative comments. I will update this post with your advice in this thread afterwards to help others that find themselves in a similar situation. If you disagree that your original post, which stated "Sounds like a huge waste of money." before you changed it, was a useless negative comment, please feel free to PM me as well and we can debate the value of your comment in private. Thanks.

Well, I started by build by ripping out my rear cabinet and keeping the “shell” minus the front fascia.
D73BFF8A-5098-4B9F-A857-8CF5B8EB7031.jpeg

Then I built a 80/20 frame based on the measurements. I ran out of material before I could finish the battery tray and multiplus mount though. New extrusion pieces will be coming in Monday and I’ll finish it then.

ED51C21D-5658-490D-B646-EAFD32EBB88E.jpeg

Next I fitted everything in place except the multiplus, which will hang out on the left side of the frame.

20731F38-3351-4F87-AA0E-C4AD0A110AF3.jpeg

Next up, wiring....

Batteries finally made it from China via Amy on the forums. Made some bus bars that I’m not super happy with and test wired them with the REC BMS and everything seems to be working. Next up is to connect the cells in parallel and top balance them. I’ll also be removing the existing electrical system in my Hymer and will be installing the 80/20 frame and other components.

EE6870D3-4930-42A9-A19C-26F1327994FB.jpegBC14C79B-B046-435E-91E6-CDF2AAE77C26.jpeg

did you top balance those cells?
9C5E720C-2363-423B-959A-F9DF66DE5842.jpeg
Not yet, but I’ve got them ready. My dc power supply comes tomorrow and I’m ready to just sit on them for the next week or so while they balance. Probably should charge in series and finish in parallel to save time though. I may change gears later, but I’ll be pretty busy with work over the next week anyway.

View attachment 49541
Not yet, but I’ve got them ready. My dc power supply comes tomorrow and I’m ready to just sit on them for the next week or so while they balance. Probably should charge in series and finish in parallel to save time though. I may change gears later, but I’ll be pretty busy with work over the next week anyway.
good to see you won't be in a hurry... so so many are like it has been 8 hours and the voltage isn't moving...

upgrade the wire...

Thread 'Top balancing why proper wire' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/top-balancing-why-proper-wire.17168/

Got the majority of system installed, but I still have to clean up and label the wiring. I have aluminum/hdpe bars that will go across the cells locking them into place. Still waiting on a few fuses before going live this weekend.
3825DEE7-C96C-4349-9856-DC9E34B4253E.jpeg

Got the majority of system installed, but I still have to clean up and label the wiring. I have aluminum/hdpe bars that will go across the cells locking them into place. Still waiting on a few fuses before going live this weekend.
View attachment 50569
looks good 12v 1120ah? (should be 14.6KWH)

Back