diy solar

diy solar

Requesting - Off-Grid Inverter Experience 240V [Split-Phase] LV6548 / EG4 6.5K [6500EX-48]

NewGuyNoob

All,

Sorry if this has been discussed, I have been searching for this information and asking questions, but I feel that I am hijacking other threads, so I decided to start my own. If you are aware of where I can find this information please point me to it, be a video or thread. Please don't ask me to search the forum, as I have and I have searched Google and Youtube. I am looking for real world experince in 240 Split Phase setup. I have a standby new Growatt 12K to replace the existing Growatt12K I am using at the moment, but I am considering replacing it with the 2 x EG4's.

I have been off the grid completely for a year, and will remain so as I do not have any Powerlines near my home and cost prohibitive to run them. I have 40KWH EG4 Pro batteries, 32 x 370W panels - and I am using a 24K Generac for Backup [NG]. I am building a home and would like to exchange my Growatt 12K Low Freq Inverter for 2 x EG4's. I am requesting input of any one who has experience with higher inductive loads on these units. I have a 15K and 13.5 Ac in the 5th Wheel that I currently live in for the house build. I use a VFD for my 3HP fresh water well, which limits current inrush and I do not think this will be an issue. However I do welding [SynchoWave 250 - 50Amp] Mig/Tig and Run a 80Gallon compressor for Air.

I would like to know what experience people have with these units? I plan on two 6.5k inverters in a split phase system. Typically I do not go over 5K of power use at one time. I'm not sure if I need to put soft starts on my AC [I rather not at 300$ each honestly]. But nothing can be done for my 240v Split Phase Air Compressor or Welding Machines if these units can not power them reliably. The Growatt 12K can power these items without a hitch.

The Growatt has AC input issues and I do not like the input of the Solar Array, not to mention - any nice features [dry contact/on off grid voltage settings.. etc] do not work or do not work realibly.

Thanks for any info!

All,

Sorry if this has been discussed, I have been searching for this information and asking questions, but I feel that I am hijacking other threads, so I decided to start my own. If you are aware of where I can find this information please point me to it, be a video or thread. Please don't ask me to search the forum, as I have and I have searched Google and Youtube. I am looking for real world experince in 240 Split Phase setup. I have a standby new Growatt 12K to replace the existing Growatt12K I am using at the moment, but I am considering replacing it with the 2 x EG4's.

I have been off the grid completely for a year, and will remain so as I do not have any Powerlines near my home and cost prohibitive to run them. I have 40KWH EG4 Pro batteries, 32 x 370W panels - and I am using a 24K Generac for Backup [NG]. I am building a home and would like to exchange my Growatt 12K Low Freq Inverter for 2 x EG4's. I am requesting input of any one who has experience with higher inductive loads on these units. I have a 15K and 13.5 Ac in the 5th Wheel that I currently live in for the house build. I use a VFD for my 3HP fresh water well, which limits current inrush and I do not think this will be an issue. However I do welding [SynchoWave 250 - 50Amp] Mig/Tig and Run a 80Gallon compressor for Air.

I would like to know what experience people have with these units? I plan on two 6.5k inverters in a split phase system. Typically I do not go over 5K of power use at one time. I'm not sure if I need to put soft starts on my AC [I rather not at 300$ each honestly]. But nothing can be done for my 240v Split Phase Air Compressor or Welding Machines if these units can not power them reliably. The Growatt 12K can power these items without a hitch.

The Growatt has AC input issues and I do not like the input of the Solar Array, not to mention - any nice features [dry contact/on off grid voltage settings.. etc] do not work or do not work realibly.

Thanks for any info!
A question. Does your AC input on the growatt abruptly shut down the unit? What issue on AC input do you have?

I had a similar experience where AC input just shuts the unit right down. Even triple checked all connections.

A question. Does your AC input on the growatt abruptly shut down the unit? What issue on AC input do you have?

I had a similar experience where AC input just shuts the unit right down. Even triple checked all connections.
I did notice that if you connect a generator with dirty power that the AC Input will not enter synchronization. (Gas powered 9kw)

I connected a 8kw Generac and it synchronized after a few seconds. This was previously, as I’ve had this for some time now. It also appeared to shut down the ac output when trying this experiment.

My permanent ac input is a 24KW Generac whole home generator. I’m completely off grid, no grid here.

My issue is an internal failure that seemed to cause phase 1or2 to combine with power input. (Signature solar is working with me to replace with 6500ex) Meaning if I run a 20 amp load, 20 amps will come from a single phase. L1, with 0 being pulled from L2. I have 4awg ran to the ac input side, at single phase I am limited to 50% unbalanced load on my generator.

I do not want to stress my generator, so I only pull 40 amps for charging. It is capable of 100 amps.

But now I have an issue with one of my 6500ex that I’m hoping to get settled with signature solar soon.

I hope this answers your question.

I did notice that if you connect a generator with dirty power that the AC Input will not enter synchronization. (Gas powered 9kw)

I connected a 8kw Generac and it synchronized after a few seconds. This was previously, as I’ve had this for some time now. It also appeared to shut down the ac output when trying this experiment.

My permanent ac input is a 24KW Generac whole home generator. I’m completely off grid, no grid here.

My issue is an internal failure that seemed to cause phase 1or2 to combine with power input. (Signature solar is working with me to replace with 6500ex) Meaning if I run a 20 amp load, 20 amps will come from a single phase. L1, with 0 being pulled from L2. I have 4awg ran to the ac input side, at single phase I am limited to 50% unbalanced load on my generator.

I do not want to stress my generator, so I only pull 40 amps for charging. It is capable of 100 amps.

But now I have an issue with one of my 6500ex that I’m hoping to get settled with signature solar soon.

I hope this answers your question.
I run two MPPLV6548 split and I run a Predator 9500 inverter generator no problem into them with a manual grid > gen transfer switch. Theses 6548’s need stable 60 cycles or they’ll disconnect. I start the generator let it run a minute before I transfer. As far as the inverters care, they think that they are feeding on the grid.

I run two MPPLV6548 split and I run a Predator 9500 inverter generator no problem into them with a manual grid > gen transfer switch. Theses 6548’s need stable 60 cycles or they’ll disconnect. I start the generator let it run a minute before I transfer. As far as the inverters care, they think that they are feeding on the grid.
The generator I mentioned was at 60hz at it still would not connect.

However the 8kw and my 24KW work flawlessly.

A question. Can grid input be 50Hz or must it be 60hz. That may have been my problem. We have 50hz 120/240 where I live. And my grid input did not work. Inverter shut down instantly.

I don’t know about growatt but the MPP has a setting for 60hz(default) or 50hz. It doesn’t sense it automatically

Back