diy solar

diy solar

residential DIY grid-assist install -- 2kw roof array + Growatt 3k 24v + 24v chins batt bank

x98myers7

Solar Enthusiast
hey everyone, I am starting this thread to document my progress on installation. so, here we go. I will post updates as I complete work.

I'm in michigan. Suncalc shows 208deg azimuth and 28deg tilt. PVwatts estimating peak production of 6500wh per day.

Core components:
2kw PV array - 8x 250w 12v panels -- https://www.newpowa.com/products/250w-monocrystalline-solar-panel
1x Growatt 3k all-in-one 24v -- https://watts247.com/product/spf-3000tl-lvm-24p/
1x Chins 100 ah 24v lifepo -- https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B091YCZV2T

Here's my plans:IMG_2937.jpeg

planning conversations;

rapid shutdown requirements

update:
regarding cost...

with (now) two Chins 24v 100ah batteries the cost is almost exactly $6000usd

Last edited:
Service room prepped and Growatt mounted. Need to spend some time cleaning up after all the crappy contractors that have gone before me. ugh. Just look at that relay box install for the sprinkler.

IMG_2942.jpeg

Last edited:
new sub-panel mounted, DC disconnect and the ClassT fuse block hiding under the Growatt. Next up is going to be running 8/2 MC from the attic junction down to the DC disconnect.

IMG_2944.jpeg

my original plan to run the main PV feed in the attic down through an open pillar didn't work out. so, I am running through the attic to a soffit, 3/4" EMT to an LB down the exterior brick and into the basement.

bought a "diablo" 1" masonry bit and drilled the hole yesterday. at first it didn't go well as I was trying to go straight through the brick. I ended up chipping out part of the brick and drilled through the mortal joint in about 2 mins. this bit worked well, and I highly recommend.

1" drill bit

for sealing up exterior holes, I highly recommend GB "duct putty" in most big-box electrical sections

panels are here!

I'm really impressed with the quality of these panels. took a chance on them based on reviews, and overall really happy.IMG_2948.jpeg

Very nice. Keep up the good work and keep us posted w/ progress
Out of curiosity, this setup will only cover 1 phase but you can add a 2nd to cover the other phase correct?

Very nice. Keep up the good work and keep us posted w/ progress
Out of curiosity, this setup will only cover 1 phase but you can add a 2nd to cover the other phase correct?

yes, I could parallel another LVM3000 and wire the second phase to the 240v panel. That is not in my plans, however.

More progress this weekend... got everything wired and fired up, minus PV input. Finally was able to get the Growatt wifi dongle working. That took a few hours to figure out.

Anyway, here's some updated pics. Main feed with breakers installed. Had to special order 40amp single pole breakers.
B5887422-6701-4A17-85FF-4C4AC083F2AB_1_105_c.jpeg

wiring through the fuse holder with reliefs installed
73AA554D-7CD6-4A9F-AEAC-1D36B4A9DE64_1_105_c.jpeg

receptacle cut out, wired and finished. The panel yellow 12/2 line out feeds this plug.
0FBDF377-8C91-4A3E-BB44-AE3D815D84DC_1_105_c.jpeg

The growatt wifi module can be fairly easy to install if you use what they call the brute force method. Instead of plugging it into my inverter to start with I just set it up on my computer by plugging it into a open USB slot. I then use a pin to get it into hotspot mode. Then connect to the hot spot it creates via either phone or pc. After you can hop onto the webpage it creates and configure it. Last plug it into my inverter and have it working 100%. I find it strange though it comes with little to no directions. Initially I watched a few youtube videos and then come up with my own way of doing it.

pretty much what I ended up doing. it was a matter of timing the 'key' reset with the wifi being available, and then not knowing the default passcodes of 12345678. absurd documentation. thankfully -- internet saves the day.

T
pretty much what I ended up doing. it was a matter of timing the 'key' reset with the wifi being available, and then not knowing the default passcodes of 12345678. absurd documentation. thankfully -- internet saves the day.
True could you imagine trying to tackle that without internet ?

got the MC cable run from the attic to the inverter, finally. what a pain in the ass. DIY alone was not ideal. ended up fitting all the conduit in place where i wanted it, pulled it back apart, pushed a fish wire up from the ground into the attic, and pulled the MC down. good times haha.:poop:

next step is wiring the DC breaker. then getting the attic box placed, DIN rail terminal blocks, wiring up the DIN rail. then on to the roof.

PV to MC attic junction box. Thought I was going to be a huge fan of the dinkle terminals after watching this video but turns out... not so much. they're not particularly substantial, but got the job done.

IMG_3015.jpeg

the system is commissioned! the array went up as expected, overall. some minor delays, but i'm satisfied with the outcome.

I'm getting 400-600 watts in full overcast which is higher than my current load, so i'm please with that. peak output so far is 1894w, so not bad at 95% efficiency. very acceptable.

I cannot recommend the Heyco sunrunner stainless wire clips enough. absolutely fantastic product.

F7D3E16A-DB2B-42D3-8127-4874167C3363_1_102_o.jpeg

F6CF997D-D1E8-40EE-8176-DB3A21DC3256_1_102_a.jpegB242E0B8-5D9C-4014-AB21-A79C04FBD4E3_1_102_a.jpeg

Attachments

• F6CF997D-D1E8-40EE-8176-DB3A21DC3256_1_102_a.jpeg
    F6CF997D-D1E8-40EE-8176-DB3A21DC3256_1_102_a.jpeg
    398.3 KB · Views: 8
Back