diy solar

diy solar

Residential pump house backup

I don't know if this helps , I have a well pump I run 24/7 on solar , 300 foot down in the hole.
I have

6 100 watt solar panels ( 140 foot run from panels to charge controller) $ 100.00 each
1 epever 60 amp solar charge controller 150 max input voltage ( this is more then what I needed ) $ 221.00
2 sok 12 volt 100ah lifepo batteries set up in series to give me 24 volts $ 560.00 each
1 aims 4kw split phase 24 volt inverter $ 1,200.00
electric panel box with 60 amp breaker and assorted wires and bus bars aprox. $ 300.00 - $ 400.00

the well pump is 240 volt 3 wire
I put the well pump wire as a 240 - 3 wire plug , made 2 receptacles for the pump plug , one is wired grid one is wire solar
I have had it in the solar plug for about 2 months and have had NO problem with it keeping the water pressurized and the
batteries have never run down to fully discharge yet , and that's with 3-4 days of rain off and on here in Northern New England.
grant you its still a lot of learning , what size wires , what kind of buss bars , what kind of lugs for the wire , circuit breakers , fuses
etc. Mostly I learned from you tube , Will , and still learning here on this forum . I hope this helps you decide.
Here is a pic of my stuff just not the solar panels or the electric panel box.
my system is very similiar, because i am in sunny CA. it only needs 2 200watt panels. My submersible pump is 120V slow start grundfos at 180 ft. so I can use a cheap 3000watt inverter. I'm using an Aquatec 25v booster pump out of a 1200 gallon storage tank. I'm surprised that you had to go that deep with all the rain you get.

my system is very similiar, because i am in sunny CA. it only needs 2 200watt panels. My submersible pump is 120V slow start grundfos at 180 ft. so I can use a cheap 3000watt inverter. I'm using an Aquatec 25v booster pump out of a 1200 gallon storage tank. I'm surprised that you had to go that deep with all the rain you get.
I started with 4 100 watt panels , but just wanted to make sure I can get some energy when I get NO sun for 5 days in a row.
im 300 feet deep cuz I am 1/2 way up a mountain side.
I needed a split phase inverter cuz the pump is 240 volt.
if it was 120 volt, the inverter would have been very cheep. Its paid for and working perfectly
the biggest thing is, I'M happy with it .

I started with 4 100 watt panels , but just wanted to make sure I can get some energy when I get NO sun for 5 days in a row.
im 300 feet deep cuz I am 1/2 way up a mountain side.
I needed a split phase inverter cuz the pump is 240 volt.
if it was 120 volt, the inverter would have been very cheep. Its paid for and working perfectly
the biggest thing is, I'M happy with it .
that's all that counts. there is no one system fits all

We have a submersible 240 volt 1hp well pump that fills a pre-charged pressure tank.
It takes about 60-90 seconds of "pump on" to fill the tank. Pump cycles about 4-6 times in 24 hours.

Hurricanes and drunk drivers take down power here, and we have no other
easy source for water.

I put in 16 solar panels, a 6.8kw inverter, breaker panels, switchgear, charge controller, FLA batteries.

To start the well pump requires about 10kw (inrush current) and to run the pump requires 1800 watts.

Batteries are just enough for overnight, and will run some other loads (lights, refrigerators, etc)

No sell-back to the utility.

I think it was around $11k for all the components for the version 1.0 of this system.

(I have since expanded the system, so as to run more things - heat pump, pool pumps, etc.)
Was the 1800W to run the pump the measured wattage? I'm curious since I have a similar situation, and 1hp is about 746W.

Yes, the inverter management software reports 1800 watts when the pump runs.
That equates to almost 8A @ 240vac.
The pump specifications:
Screen Shot 2022-11-20 at 11.02.16.png

0f course my 25volt booster pump started dropping in pressure after nine months. had to switch back to the AC pump. I need to find a half hp booster pump that willrun on less than 700 watts or 6 amps at 110.

Back