diy solar

diy solar

Resources for beginners

I would suggest posting this under a new topic in a new thread. Better opportunities for a response.

Hi, I've recently made a free web app that allows to check the electric compatibility of solar panels against common microinverters.
I personally think this would be quite useful for beginners, but I haven't yet gotten much feedback on it.

I just bought a 2007 leisure travel free spirit 210b LSX and plan to take that out west for a month of adventure in various national parks. ?

I work remotely. So I'm planning on being able to work in the back of my van. And so after having watched a few videos, here are the questions I have:

1) On my van, I noticed that the plug outlets only work when the generator is powered on. Is it possible and okay to change the wiring so that the plug outlets can run on the battery bank? The battery bank has 2 AGM batteries (still need to verify that they are each 12V).

2) For work (8 hours), I use:
- a Dell XPS 13 laptop
- Dell docking station
- 2 LG 24" IPS LED FHD FreeSync Monitors
Is it unrealistic to use dual monitors in the camper van? I really like having two as I write code and check data.

3) Based upon energy usage for work, plus the desire to be able to power a small fridge and potentially rewiring the plug outlets so that they can run on battery and the generator, what inverter would you recommend?

4) Is there anything major I'm forgetting? The journey begins June 10th ish, so this project is my priority right now.

Thanks in advance for whoever replies!

Just made an account, will post my questions in other areas after more reading. Just wanted to say thanks for the book and the videos.

I bought this system ECO-WORTHY 2340W 48V Off Grid Complete Solar Panel Kit, where can I see the detailed description for connecting?

I figured this would be the thread to list topics to study and links to the. Sticky and locked so only moderators can post, but it has been hijacked left and right.

Things I have studied as a newbie to solar:

Wire - what is good and bad. CCA vs pure copper, Temperature
Wire - sizes, strand count, sheath materials, ampacity and voltage
Tools. - list of essential tools for crimping, torquing, striping, etc
Tools - general torque specs for bolts and connectors
Lugs - material, plating, good and bad brands, what to look for
Fuses - DC arc breaking, sizes, types, where needed type to use
Switches - dc disconnect, ???
Inverters - how sized? Good brands? What to look for?
MPPT. - what to look for ?
Solar panels - ???
Battery options- rack mount vs home built vs ?
Balancers - what they do and what to look for
BMC - how to use them to control the battery charge states?
Conduit - what goes where and how to pull cables
Bus bars - what to look for, what works

Books and reference materials

What have I missed that I need to deep dive next?

Right now I have built a 12v battery with fuse, disconnect, charger, shunt. I plan to DIY solar on the house in 2025 so I have time to learn and plan everything.

Back