diy solar

diy solar

Resources for beginners

Hi, I'd like to figure out what I need.

In general I would like a complete system that powers my entire house (1,400 SF) and batteries to be there for my medical equipment, refrigerator, lights, etc.

But I at least need a generator (maybe a panel or 2) that I could use to charge my power wheelchair and CPAP and I would like, if possible, to have the panels on the roof with cables or wires coming into the house recharging the generator(s), as I am in a wheelchair I can't physically move the generator(s) outside to a solar panel, or maybe just connected directly to the outlets for my power wheelchair recharger and a second outlet my CPAP plugs into.

But as I mentioned above I'd like to get a complete home solar power system that would be there for my entire house.

Any advice or a good resource I could look at? Everything I look at online give no related information, it just gives me the option for them to come out and give me an estimate.

Thanks, Mike
Please repost on the general discussions forum.

Thanks E. Cho,

My question shows how much I don't know. What I meant is that there are Portable Power Stations (like batteries I think) that can be plugged into the wall so as to recharge or can be recharged with a solar panel or two.

I will get a Kilowatt meter you mentioned.

Thanks

??For time's sake- I want to ask here if there is more that I should do with my 4 new 300ah lifepo4s other than using the thermal heater/capacity tested that Will covers in one of his videos? I've included it here:

I believe I will need to top balance them before plugging everything in (I have the inverter, solar panels, charge controller all set to go (it was even working on another battery at one point.

Would I need something like the included photo to top balance them? Or could I do this with something else? I will also need to hook up my bms before doing any of this I believe! Thanks for steering me down the right path! I'm about to start on it next week!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220711-175921.png
    Screenshot_20220711-175921.png
    206.7 KB · Views: 2
Out of curiosity I decide to look through this Thread. While some of the resources mentioned can be of assistance when designing and building a system from available component parts there really needs to be a link to a guide to educate people about electrical power. Along with this a guide for the basics of how electrical power is generated and stored should also be included. Building a system that is safe and supplies power is not necessarily good if the power you get is insufficient for your needs. Heck there is some designs that people come up with that consume as much as they create. There is also some real fallacies in regards to device ratings. Not to mention marketers deliberate misleading claims. Such as battery power packs being generators.

Not sure if such guides exist. If I was a good writer I would make my own. It would not be a marketing pitch.

ETA: I realize there is many supposed solar power guides for beginners. It seems most of them fail to look at real world usage. Or fail to be brutally honest.

Last edited:
Best easiest to understand electronic book I ever read,

1660710188407.png

I think you can get the real book on Amazon.

Sucks radio shack is gone. That's where I got it. It explained all this stuff so well.

1660710437726.png

Hi guys,

I know this is probably not the right place to ask this question, but I'm not sure where else to post it.

Do you think there is anyone on this forum who might be willing to look at a proposal I got from a local Solar installing company in my town, and tell me whether it is a good offer or not? It seems high to me, but there are a lot of things that are included in the offer.

Thanks,
For any input I can get. I don't have time to learn how to do it on my own, but I thought you guys might at least know if something is a good deal or not, or if its a total rip off.

Sincerely,
Rob

Electricity getting much more expensive in my country and I am planning to install a solar system. I heard a 12-volt system works better than a 220v system because it gives more backup time. The only issue is we need to buy a 12v appliance.

I need help, I need a solar panel kit to power my portable heater and air purifier for winter and air conditioner for summer. I would probably add coffee maker and air fryer/oven as a daily used equipment to be powered solarly. Do I go with companies like Ecoflow delta pro or DIY scalable EG4 but will start with dirt low budget.
Thanks in advance on your replies,
Jose
physical therapist

View attachment 107223

Sucks radio shack is gone. That's where I got it. It explained all this stuff so well.

View attachment 107224
amazon doesn’t have the best printer. The pdf download on the web is better.........

Hi William.
What do you think of the new Sodium-Iron batteries.
Anybody else also welcome to comment.
Thanks.

A

View attachment 107223

View attachment 107224
Amazon didn’t use the best printer……(the illegal?) download at pdfdrive is better. Please don‘t react?

According to what I've read up on it they say it will be 40% cheaper then LiFePo4 batteries. Every thing else will be simmilar to LifePo4 batteries .

The biggest difference is that you can buy LFP cells now. Everything about sodium cells is still "yet to be determined".
A bird in the hand........

NEC 2023 edition free view & access:

I have a newbie question. I have a Renogy MT50 monitor that I broke the mounting bracket on during a remodel. Renogy does not have one say it is old technology. I have looked on Amazon to no avail . Does any one know where I can pick one up,

Back