diy solar

diy solar

Resting Voltage BattleBorn 100aH

Wallowa

After several hours, or days, starting with a full [SOC] BattleBorn LiFePo4 100 aH battery what resting voltage do you see?

Without any load or input but installed in camper [etc].

What is this "final" resting voltage before the slow decline during storage?

Thanks....Phil

Don’t know but am also interested. Mine shipped at 13.35 on each of the two. They’ve been sitting up at my place for 2 months waiting for me to hook up the new panels and charge controller.

I’ve been meaning to look up how to program my controller to max charge to 90%. I’ve got some vague notion that would maximize life. I don’t need all the juice right now.

Don’t know but am also interested. Mine shipped at 13.35 on each of the two. They’ve been sitting up at my place for 2 months waiting for me to hook up the new panels and charge controller.

I’ve been meaning to look up how to program my controller to max charge to 90%. I’ve got some vague notion that would maximize life. I don’t need all the juice right now.
BD,

Many thanks...without going into the hairy details I have been going round and round with BB [they have been very attentive and supportive]...the person I have been exchanging calls and emails say that my new BB 100aH should be resting well above 14.4V...mine like yours, settles down to 13.34-.35V..mine is a heated version of the BB battery[switched off] but with no draw and using Prowse's V vs SOC [recognizing with the radical curve, this measurement of SOC is at best a WAG] this 13.34V gives you above 90% SOC...

Would like to hear from others with BB Li batteries and what their resting voltage settles into.

Thanks appreciate your response.....oh, I am using an Orion 712 [at resting voltage no current in or out] and have checked the number of aH put back into the battery at this resting voltage and it is always about 1 aH when input from my IP67 goes to 0amps [Tail at 3%].

Only wild card still in my mind is the battery temperature and how that might affect the registered voltage. I know it affects the available amps but not how it might vary the voltage. Specifically my battery in my shop in my FWC Hawk is at between 48 and 50F.; BB test data is at 70F.

Phil

I’ve been pretty relaxed about these batteries given the warranty and reputation. I’ll pay more attention once I put them into service. Please keep us posted on what you find out.

I don't see how BB told you the battery should be resting well above 14.4V. 14.4V is about the max voltage for bulk charging a LiFePO4 battery. Resting in the 13.3-13.5V range is very normal for LiFePO4. My SCC is setup to float at 13.5V so resting below that is right.

I don't see how BB told you the battery should be resting well above 14.4V. 14.4V is about the max voltage for bulk charging a LiFePO4 battery. Resting in the 13.3-13.5V range is very normal for LiFePO4. My SCC is setup to float at 13.5V so resting below that is right.
My error! That should have read "13.4" not "14.4" ...when mine was 'resting' at 13.3V is when BB got concerned.. my battery was installed in June and without hesitation they sent me a new one; no shipping charges. Honestly my original battery had the same resting voltage as the new replacement battery. I have had great service from BB and believe their batteries are top tier.

As an experiment since my battery is in a 50F shop, I put a space heater in my FWC and at 68F the voltage did increase from 13.35 to 13.43V. Not a really controlled experiment, but I believe battery temperature does affect the voltage reading. I know lower temps reduce the available aH; these are not lost and with increase in temps the full aH are back in play.

All this is probably academic as my BB battery will most probably outlive me; while providing all the juice I need. FYI...I have all Victron devices, IP67, 100/30 MPPT, 712 and DC/DC 30A...with 340 W Zamp solar panels on roof.

Question answered...I have watched this interview with Dennis from BB several times but failed to retain his statements at the 16:40 to 16.53 time on this Utube video:

Dennis says that a fully charged BB LiFeP04 battery @ 14.4V once removed from charging will slowly decrease in voltage down to 13.3V where it will sit for months at a constant 13.3V.

Lots more answers in the interview.

My 8 cell pack with active balancing JK BMS and a Cerbo GX running (5w-8w draw) seems to settle to 26.6V with that small load. And that's after 28.4V 'absorption' for an hour. As measured by the Victron shunt.

Seems double 13.3, so appears to be fine ;)

Back