diy solar

diy solar

Reuse ideas for battery cell packing foam

Bob142

Build more, learn more.
I got a cheap indoor/outdoor rug for the basement shop floor by the bench. I thought, "this could use some cushioning... wait a minute!". Three sheets from an EVE 280Ah cell box and I've got a nice cushioned underlayment.

What else have people done to reuse all that packing foam that they got with their battery cell orders?

IMG_3532.jpg

That foam sheeting normally makes good insulation for wrapping around heating and hot water pipes, or stuffing into gaps around door/window frames if you have gaps which leak heat during cold winters.

That foam sheeting normally makes good insulation for wrapping around heating and hot water pipes, or stuffing into gaps around door/window frames if you have gaps which leak heat during cold winters.

I stuff it in cracks for insulation but be careful with hot water pipes.

This stuff probably has a much lower flash point than proper insulation for heating and hot water pipes and that could cause a major problem.

This stuff probably has a much lower flash point than proper insulation for heating and hot water pipes and that could cause a major problem.
I wondered about that too. I just found some info from a Uline foam roll product page and some info on pipe insulation from Grainger (I'm assuming they are generally representative samples.)

Seems like they aren't that far off in terms of peak temps. Not sure what the max storage temp for the foam roll means. That might be the practical upper temp limit before it starts to degrade, in which case that puts it 40 degrees F lower than the pipe insulation.

Foam Roll

1609248288443.png

1609248811124.png

Last edited:
I stuff it in cracks for insulation but be careful with hot water pipes.

How warm is the water inside your heating and hot water system pipes? Mine run at no more than 60C, and if that melts plastic foam I’ll be surprised.

How warm is the water inside your heating and hot water system pipes? Mine run at no more than 60C, and if that melts plastic foam I’ll be surprised.

Probably not that hot but I’m not going to repurpose packing from China for that use in my house.

IF it’s the same specs as the Uline product there should not be a problem. Probably over cautious but...

Back