diy solar

diy solar

Review Electrical Power System and Electrodacus BMS Control

spaner

This is my first crack at electrical layout, I have a general power schematic and prettier Electrodacus/sense wire layout (discovered straight lines..) Building out an electrical supply system for my Sprinter Van I am DIY converting - pretty new to electrical systems so feel free to butcher anything

In case the pictures are not obvious the main system I have already purchased consist of

8 x 280 aH EVE cells wired in 2p4S which will yield 560aH @ 12V

Electrodacus BMS

Electrodacus DSSR PV solar controller

3000W/12V Victron Multiplus Invertor

Lyxn Distributor (don’t need the flashy light but got a bundled deal) – will add additional bus bar to extend connections

2 x “smart” 12/12/30 amp DC-DC Orions in Parallel

350A/100mV shunts

I think I will buy the following solar panels as I like the idea of low profile nature and if I ever get the urge I can use the van roof as a patio
  1. 2x Alrska Flexible Solar Panel 100W 12V/24V Monocrystalline / each panel 5.34A Imp, 18.7V Vmp
  2. 2 x Alrska 180 Watt Flexible Solar Panel, 12 Volt Monocrystalline/ each panel 8.61A Imp, 20.9V Vmp
I have a separate diagram for the BMS and control systems as the initial layout looks like I threw up on it. Once I get some feedback I will fix the lines but I found it was pretty helpful sketching this out in this rough format.

Wire Lengths
  • Which wires have to be equivalent length +/-v – I get main wires to and from bus bars but what about to DC DC Chargers and MPPT/DSSR20?
Grounds
  • I have small gauge “ground” cables from Battery Protect/ DSSR/& Lynx Distributor that I assume I will find a convenient chassis point to attach to. What should I do with the Green Cable highlighted at the Multiplus – tie that to chassis ground it seems like its expecting a larger gauge wire
Battery
  • Will be 2P4S,
Bus Bar / Lxyn Distributer
  • I have 3 additional “-ve/ground” connections that I was thinking I can extend the lynx with a dual bolt bus bar (for -ve need 2 from PV and one from BP which looks like a small “ground wire). For positive I need to small sense wire +ve so hoping I can just connect on top of one of the existing connections – my rational on position is the highest loads/inputs should connect closest to the main battery lug
Shunts
  • Eletradacus use the +ve side for measurements, a main battery shunt first of battery and then a PV shunt
  • I undersized the main battery shunt as I was originally going 24V – I think I will replace with what I have (350A/100mV) with Victron Smart shunt 500A/50mV so that it can pull double duty talking to Victon and Electrodacus – I assume I can get the data from blue tooth wirelessly from the smart shunt but if I use a direct wire connection via VE direct do I have to do anything special ( some one mentioned it would need “fused sense wires” used on +ve line ..) - Worst case is I know I could add a third shunt on the negative side for just Cerbo but that introduces additional failure points and as its nice to have don’t wont do that
DC DC Orion Fusing
  • Is having a fuse at Lynx distributer then a breaker and a further fuse at the chassis battery connection overkill or appropriate?
  • I got a deal on two isolated DC-DC – I don’t intend to use them isolated so is there anything special I need to think about or do, could not seem to find any info except remove jumper
  • I am really fuzy on the triggering for DC-DC Charger – What I want to do is have them turn on with ignition (so H input) and then additionally have the ability to turn them off (Switch on the L side ) – The BMS also uses the L connection to turn off the Orions.
PV/Solar
  • I have dual routes for PV charging though intend to always use both as i dont there is going to be excwss solar - hence I have not wired in a diversion circuit though i do have that version of DSSR. If there is an actual benefit from wiring either charge source parallel vs series knowing I also plan to buy a conventional MPPT. I plan to fit something like 600W on roof
  • DSSR connections to panels don’t have a -ve connection – only a small ground wire,
  • -ve return – As the way the electrodacus works they use a shunt on the positive side for battery and PV , So I need to provide -ve (ground though I appreciate that’s not what it is) – I can extend the negative bus bar from the Lynx distributer – obviously cable lengths are not going to be perfectly match
  • Is switch the correct device on the Solar side of charger controllers as I planned to have breakers prior to these.
  • As I only have two panels on each leg did not include fuses.
  • I hope I can gang the sense/trigger wires for both the SSR and yet to be purchased MPPT – it seems that I have to use the VE direct if I pick Victron – I am assuming I can still collate Victron PV input via blue tooth
Invertor
  • I have read that getting 4/0 to fit on the Multiplus is a pain so figured I would run 2 x 2/0, for the short run post the switch was going to use a small length of 4/0
  • I will plan to use trickle charging from Multiplus – I think the last I read I can wire +ve direct to EK1 (Maybe I can put a switch in line to disable this is I really need it ?
  • I found a nice design for pre charge switch which I plan to use on the invertor switch – will be a dwell for a second at 1st position then connect – credit goes to filter guy at DIY solar.
AC Distribution
  • TBD probably panel from bluesea
I appreciate I have not shared any details on loads – I sort of sized the major items knowing I will plan to have Midea U shape mini split AC working eventually, small air compressor, will buy induction stove – better half will use a hair dryer and likely end up buying a ISO temp or may cheap out and use Bosch water heater . For DC the usual lights , Diesel heater, Lemans fan and charging Ports….. I think I understand sizing of wires for the loads side (fusing for the wire not the load) but if there is some fundamental thing I need to be wary feel free to call me out – If I get motivated will probably do a separate diagram for those at it will help the layout but this is already a bit large and don’t want to lose the crowd…

Attachments

• Main Power Florence V2.png
    Main Power Florence V2.png
    509.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Florence Electrodacus-Sense layout.png
    Florence Electrodacus-Sense layout.png
    391.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
You might want to run the EXTIO4 to the unused two input ports on the Optocoupler and attach the DSSR20 and the Victron MPPT to the separate output sides, much the same way as you did with the Multiplus and the battery Protect.

In my installation I tried to trigger the charger side of my inverter and the DSSR20’s off the same EXTIOX and they did not work until I separated them on an Optocoupler, apparently DSSR20’s don’t share well.

Peter

Thanks I will look at that - ITs been a while so have updated a few things and now have a bit more time to spend on electrical system having completed some other van projects. I have major components purchased but now need to order cables and fuses so if anyone has comments on that

I have also since realized for the size of Solar MPPT I will need (around 400w) the victron versions don’t have a seperate delay I so will have to use that for control to SBMS - which then means I can’t hardwire connect to the cerbo - but maybe it can get info and can still control via blue tooth ?

I have an sbms120 in use. I'm curious why you decided to use a dssr20 and a separate mppt controller? I'd rather have two or three dssr20 or a dssr50 that takes up no space at all. I've been more than happy with the built-in charge controller of the sbms120.

I also have a u-shaped midea 8000btu AC unit. It works really well and hasn't ever tripped up my inverter (like my 80s window unit can). I typically run it in non-eco mode to get as much cooling as possible and it is around 400-450w steady from what I remember. I'm pretty happy with it and want another and I'd never run my central air ever again.

I just noticed walmart has a 2 gallon 150 psi air compressor on sale right now that runs on a 24v battery pack. You could get a 12v to 24v converter and avoid stressing your inverter.

My only comments on builds like these is often... I'd rather have $600 in extra batteries and/or panels and avoid charging from the vehicle alternator entirely. If you are in an area with days and days of zero solar, you shouldn't be there. :) Eight 280ah lifepo4 seems like a decent amount of storage already, but I know mobile can be hard to charge and space for more panels is often limited.

Dssr for one set of panels 100w x2 and I will also have 150-200w x2 - can’t mix panels and additional dssr are not on sale / backordered

Assume you are using midea in a home vs a van (if the later would be interested to hear your feedback)

Yes, in a home. I've been keeping an eye on it because someone else mentioned it should get over 500w when it is really hot out. Now we'll have cooler weather for at least another week.

I can imagine it potentially being a lot quieter than other non-U-shaped units. It would work well if you could build a wall/insulation in around it and it would seem to be pretty secure as well. Electronically, it seems ideal for an RV setup with a moderately sized battery and solar setup.

I can't really say anything bad about the midea unit, but be sure it is tilted appropriately so it drains outside. The CEER of 15 seems hard to beat in such a small unit. I see DC units being 2-3x as much. It doesn't stress my 2000w inverter as far as I can tell.

I am about ready to buy solar panels - two small (100w) panels which I will parrallel to the DSSR 20 and then two larger 180W panels behind fan - I was going to buy a small MPPT but just saw Dacian has launched the new DSSR50 which I think is a nice cost effective solution -

Will the DSSR50 and the 180w x2 in prrallel be a good match ?

180W specs (they are not the most efficient as they are semi flexible / semi walkable panels made by Alska and these are the only specs listed
Imp 5.34
Vimp 20.9

100W (will connect to my already purchased DSSR20
Imp 5.35
Vmp 18.7

I have a 12V battery system- abandoned 24V

Any feedback on suitability of the Alrksa panels in charging a 12V system via DSSR20/50

Purchased the 180W version on a special deal
Specs seemed to have been revised

180W
Imp 8.61A
Vmp 20.9
Voc 24.7

Back