diy solar

diy solar

Review simple all-in-one 24v system design for travel trailer

larrucifer

Would really love some feedback on my design. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qAYMkl97M4sAjpKpStVg3OFibe8BduUt/view?usp=sharing
Feel free to comment in the document (right click). I will be keeping my 12V side intact for now. I may end up replacing it with a 24->12v converter. Some questions I have:
1. Do I need any fusing in this scenario?
2. Do I need to ground the 24V batteries? I would assume to chassis?
3. Should I have disconnect breakers? If so for batteries, panels, or both?
3. Any other concerns?

Last edited:
Yes, you need over current protection (OCP). I use a dual pole breaker between the PV and SCC, sized for the amps.

A circuit breaker after the battery bank is also needed. A Class T fuse (or fuses in your case) is appropriate, sized to the max amperage draw that is expected by the system.

The all-in-one should have a grounding screw. Use it.

I didn't change the 30 amp feed to my existing main distribution panel, so I don't know what OCP is in place. However, I suspect that there isn't any between the shore power and the main distribution panel. Could you add a circuit breaker? Sure. Just make sure it's rated appropriately for AC and the number of amps (which I would expect to be 30). There may be an issue with GFI, meaning that too many OCP devices in a circuit can mess with the GFI. Not sure on this though, so do your research.

Back