diy solar

diy solar

Rich solar 100W diode info

12VoltInstalls

life passes by too quickly to not live in freedom
I have three 100W windyNation branded panels that have been great. Parallel setup, 12V. They have the ‘double diode’ in the panel junction box. I use them 2 facing East/SE and one facing South/SW

I have a chance to pick up a pair of new in box Rich solar 100W quite inexpensively. I want to remove the one South facing panel and connect the remaining two panels series 24V and then use the two Rich panels in series facing South. (Yes I could just buy another windyNation panel but I want the panel for my boat)

my question is: Do the Rich Solar 100W panels have the “double blocking diode” that some info out there indicates that they do not? (I think there’s a Will Prowse video I saw once that said they do but I haven’t relocated that)

Probably a non-issue if all panels had equal sun, but because I’m set up to maximize morning sun (my highest demand time) the unqualified comments (not here) I’ve read don’t give me confidence that they do or don’t. I think they ‘do’ but I’d like to know. No answer / no data on the various places they sell regarding.

No. I’m not averse to mismatching panels :) Thanks.

I have three 100W windyNation branded panels that have been great. Parallel setup, 12V.

I have found it unnecessary to have any diodes at all in a 12v system.
Even with shaded panels the V is high enough compared to the panels in full sun that there is no return current.

I included blocking diodes in all my early conversions but no longer with no noticeable problems in a series of one.
2 in series may require diodes or maybe not, Try without and see. Or stay with 12v!

Last edited:
It's easy to get confused about blocking diodes and bypass diodes depending on the application.

So @12VoltInstalls the double bypass diodes inside a panel's junction box are normal, and should not be removed. If you remove both, you'll get nothing. If you remove just one, you'll only get half your panel's rated current that you paid for. Those diodes in the panel's junction box are to help prevent cells from burning out when there is heavy shading.

ADDITIONAL diodes in the system wires, or junction boxes that are NOT part of the panels themselves, but in a separate system hanging on a wall somewhere are a different story for specific reasons.

It's easy to get confused about blocking diodes and bypass diodes depending on the application.

So @12VoltInstalls the double bypass diodes inside a panel's junction box are normal, and should not be removed. If you remove both, you'll get nothing. If you remove just one, you'll only get half your panel's rated current that you paid for. Those diodes in the panel's junction box are to help prevent cells from burning out when there is heavy shading.

ADDITIONAL diodes in the system wires, or junction boxes that are NOT part of the panels themselves, but in a separate system hanging on a wall somewhere are a different story for specific reasons.
Got it. I wasn’t going to remove anything.

I just wanted to assure the diodes were there because I’m facing two directions with panels. After noon, sun doesn’t hit the other panels, first light doesn’t hit the second panel direction.
Some vids suggested Rich panels got hot in unequal sun/shaded configs and mentioned diodes missing but I distrust stuff when they do/say other obvious things wrong.

FWIW my WindyNation 100W panels have been fine no matter how I’ve used them and I suspect the Rich are fine too both being similar low-price panels.

Since I don’t /know/ the rich panels, this was my ‘snopes’ post on that. :)
Even steal-priced second-hand new in box panels aren’t a bargain if they won’t work right.

Well just to close this I’m regularly seeing 40V primary and charging has been good 2S2P 24V into 12V bank.

Back