diy solar

diy solar

Rich solar exceeding voltage capabilities?

RVLiFe

Solar Enthusiast
Rich solar has a 200 Watt solar kit. I’m looking at the 800 watt kit in particular.

Something seems very wrong with this setup.

Wouldn’t 800 watts in series produce over 100V and damage the controller? Can their SCC really handle 800 Watts in this configuration? In this configuration, wouldn’t you also be missing out on additional Amp output if the controller only outputs 40 Amps? Can the wires even handle this?

If I want to buy 4 200 Watt solar panels, would you recommend a better SCC and if so, which one?(Victron preferred)

Wouldn’t 800 watts in series produce over 100V and damage the controller?

• Solar Panels: 200 Watt Voc = 24.3, Isc=10.2, Vmpp= 20.4V, Imp= 9.80A
  • SCC: Max. PV Input Short Current: 50A , Max. Battery Voltage: 32V
So, 4 in series would be 4 x 24.3V < 100V. Didn't see a temperature correction factor, but they usually run 0.06%, so probably fine even at very cold temperatures.

Another way to look at it would 800 Watts / 9.8 amps = 81V

Can the wires even handle this?
Says they're using 10 AWG, depends on the wire of course, but for example 90°C THHN would be good for 40 amps. So 10 amps? Seems like it would be okay.

Last edited:
Rich solar has a 200 Watt solar kit. I’m looking at the 800 watt kit in particular.

Something seems very wrong with this setup.

Wouldn’t 800 watts in series produce over 100V and damage the controller? Can their SCC really handle 800 Watts in this configuration? In this configuration, wouldn’t you also be missing out on additional Amp output if the controller only outputs 40 Amps? Can the wires even handle this?

If I want to buy 4 200 Watt solar panels, would you recommend a better SCC and if so, which one?(Victron preferred)
What voltage will your battery bank be? At 12v, the controller will limit you to 480W but at 24v, it give plenty of headroom.

What voltage will your battery bank be? At 12v, the controller will limit you to 480W but at 24v, it give plenty of headroom.
I currently have 12V 200Ah LiFePO4 but have no issue going to 24V. There kit was for a 12V system up to 800 watts. The next step according to them would be 1200watts with 24V. So if what you state is true, why would they sell a 600 and 800 watt system if the controller will limit it?

Also, when I was stating it was over 100 volts, I was using two different solar calculators that factor in cold weather. The one from Midnight solar gave me the attached numbers. Some people say it’s not a concern and others say it is.
I live near the Great Lakes so we get plenty of cold days.

Attachments

• 49EDE5D5-9FDC-4771-BF0E-A40BC2970868.jpeg
    49EDE5D5-9FDC-4771-BF0E-A40BC2970868.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 5
Many connect higher solar so the max output will be achieved for more hours a day. If you are only getting 50% sunlight, the 800W panels will still output 400W it is done all the time.

... factor in cold weather. Some people say it’s not a concern and others say it is. I live near the Great Lakes so we get plenty of cold days.
Most mean well, but fortunately, there's no need to trust anyone.

You need the temperature correction factor from the solar panel's datasheet and your local minimum temperature. Once you have them there are example calculations for the math here: Figuring out how many panels in series and parallel based on your MPPT

I am also very curious about this as well, I actually purchased their 800W kit when I was in town, and have installed the 4, 200W panels in series on our van. I contacted Rich Solar, and they told me that the 40A MPPT controller works well with their 800W kit. I was hesitant and asked because from web research looks like I should have a 60-80A MPPT controller for our setup and am questioning whether to trial/proceed with theirs or simply buy a bigger controller to make sure we are "getting the most" out of our setup. Thoughts?

They sell the 40A controller in the kit so makes no sense if it doesn't really work with it.

Plugging in the numbers for those 200W panels (assuming the specs in post #2 are correct), 4 in series would be over 109Voc at -20ºC and the battery current output would be over 70A. So a 40A charge controller seems to be throwing away a lot of potential power and if the SCC only supports 100V max input voltage then that's a big risk. Of course this is all based on ideal conditions. It's quite likely you'll never get 200W each.

Plugging in the numbers for those 200W panels (assuming the specs in post #2 are correct), 4 in series would be over 109Voc at -20ºC and the battery current output would be over 70A. So a 40A charge controller seems to be throwing away a lot of potential power and if the SCC only supports 100V max input voltage then that's a big risk. Of course this is all based on ideal conditions. It's quite likely you'll never get 200W each.
Feeling dumb for buying their kit and getting stuck with a SCC that's too weak for the panels purchased. So, Sounds like you recommending to buy an 80A SCC to maximize the output?

I have no experience with Rich Solar or their kit. Based solely on the raw numbers it appears to be inadequate. But it may all work just fine in the real world and/or the panels don't put out the claimed power. I wouldn't buy that kit based on the numbers but I'd hate for anyone to spend money on a bigger SCC with the kit since I can't be sure it's really needed. I suggest talking with actual users of that kit and see what results they are getting.

Thank you for the time and response! At this stage, having already installed and purchased the kit, and being past the return date, may as well test the SCC hooked up when I complete the whole system and see how it works before upgrading to a larger one when it may not be necessary. Thanks rmaddy

I got the 400W Rich solar kit. Same as the 800W kit but with only 2 x 200W panels. Hooked up both panels in series on a clear fall day and tilted the panels at the sun. About 68 deg F. Was getting 275W. Didn't measure Voc. My plan is to add another pair of 200W panels at some point. I have looked at the math 9 ways to Sunday and don't feel that the single Rich solar MPPT SCC will do. Potential for 70+ amps and a 40 amp SCC doesn't work for me. An 80a Victron might be nice, but high $$$$. So I think I will just get another Rich solar 40a SCC and let it control the second set of panels. About $320 for 80A of SCC. Just takes up more room in the basement.

DC wiring 290RL.jpg

I got the 400W Rich solar kit. Same as the 800W kit but with only 2 x 200W panels. Hooked up both panels in series on a clear fall day and tilted the panels at the sun. About 68 deg F. Was getting 275W. Didn't measure Voc. My plan is to add another pair of 200W panels at some point. I have looked at the math 9 ways to Sunday and don't feel that the single Rich solar MPPT SCC will do. Potential for 70+ amps and a 40 amp SCC doesn't work for me. An 80a Victron might be nice, but high $$$$. So I think I will just get another Rich solar 40a SCC and let it control the second set of panels. About $320 for 80A of SCC. Just takes up more room in the basement.

View attachment 67520

Thanks for the reply, was thinking along the same lines. I asked RICH if another 40A SCC would be beneficial and they responded saying it's safe but not really responding about optimizing the output question. Looks like getting a Victron or another Rich controller. Thanks a lot!

Update: I have been messaging back and forth with them and they stated that they are releasing their 60A MPPT controller soon.

Last edited:
Back