diy solar

diy solar

Rich Solar MPPT PV over input

Estroud

Guys need some education here.
I am having an issue of the MPPT giving me an error of E8 or PV over input I interpret this to mean pv over voltage input.
I can't figure out why.

I have 600w of PV connected in a 3s2p configuration
VOC OF 62.3v
IMP of 10.8 amp
SCC
Rich Solar 40 amp MPPT
100v max input Voltage

I appreciate any help.

If that is the VOC and the IMP of the 3S2P configuration, that could produce close to 50 amps when converted to a charging amperage.

To me appears your charge control can be overpaneled. Perhaps 600 watts of panels is too much. To test, it would work earlier in the day or later in the day, just not at max sunup, and then set it up 4S2P. That’s all I can think of.

I was thinking of changing to a 4s2p. I have never seen it produce more than 20.3amps out to the battery...

I have the same set up. 3S2P 100 watt panels, and the most I saw to the battery was 25 amps. About 350watts.

It would have to be a very good day for mine to reach 600 watts production.

I am having an issue of the MPPT giving me an error of E8 or PV over input I interpret this to mean pv over voltage input.
I can't figure out why.

VOC OF 62.3v
IMP of 10.8 amp
SCC
Rich Solar 40 amp MPPT
100v max input Voltage

I appreciate any help.

Is this a 12v or 24v application? The manual says 550w for 12v. Maybe disconnect one string and see what happens?

1628782759077.png

I have reconfigured the system to a 4s 2p. I am getting 20 amps output to the battery.
Input to the charge controller is 34.2 at 8.45 amps for a total 0f,289 watts. This is the most I have ever received from the panels.
Annnnd the rich solar 40amp 8s giving me error 8 ie PV over input.
Any ideas.

I like the idea of testing a single string by either shutting the breaker off or covering it up to see if that code goes away.

I have no experience with the Renogy SCC. I see no reason why you have that code if the controller is good.

If the code does not go away with one string, I would consider returning the SCC if Renogy could not walk me through that.

I have reconfigured the system to a 4s 2p. I am getting 20 amps output to the battery.
Input to the charge controller is 34.2 at 8.45 amps for a total 0f,289 watts. This is the most I have ever received from the panels.
Annnnd the rich solar 40amp 8s giving me error 8 ie PV over input.
Any ideas.
If you are running 4 panel strings of 100w panels and only getting 34.2v there is something very wrong. You should be seeing closer to 80v and 10a. It almost seems like you are only getting 2S2P...

I can't figure out why.

VOC OF 62.3v
IMP of 10.8 amp
SCC
Rich Solar 40 amp MPPT
100v max input Voltage

I appreciate any help.
Same here but my 3s2p panels are 200w each with a 40A Rich Solar MPPT. Rich couldn't answer my question of what is causing the E8 error. My question is, do you think having a 600A MPPT get rid of the error? I've attached a screenshot of my current readings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220507-141827.png
    Screenshot_20220507-141827.png
    118.1 KB · Views: 9
You are putting out 40 charging amps on a 40 amp controller with about 600 watts in from a 1200 watt array.

My uneducated guess tells me it’s faulting out because of over paneling. The instead of getting a bigger SCC from the same manufacturer, I’d recommend looking at a different brand that can handle the over paneling.

I use a Victron where the specs read it can be paneled counting the VOC up to a certain percentage over.

I can't figure out why.

VOC OF 62.3v
IMP of 10.8 amp
SCC
Rich Solar 40 amp MPPT
100v max input Voltage

I appreciate any help.
I tested my 40 amp Rich solar controller the other day with four 200 watt panels in a series/parallel and it worked fine. If I hooked them all in a series it gave me an error at 93 volts. I haven't tried 3 in a series/parallel. I put a load on my inverter by running the well pump and it put about 34 amps back into the batteries and then tapered down as the voltage caught up. The controller says 100V max, but after about 90V it errors out. They seem to be good controllers, but I think 100 volts is a bit optimistic. Next sunny day maybe I'll try 6 panels in a series/parallel and see if I get an error. Here is the kicker. I can hook three 200 watts in a series and still get 34+ amps from the controller under heavy load. I only have four 100 watt extra panels so I can't test the same set up as you did.

You are putting out 40 charging amps on a 40 amp controller with about 600 watts in from a 1200 watt array.

My uneducated guess tells me it’s faulting out because of over paneling. The instead of getting a bigger SCC from the same manufacturer, I’d recommend looking at a different brand that can handle the over paneling.

I use a Victron where the specs read it can be paneled counting the VOC up to a certain percentage over.
Since I have a 1200w array and only using 600w. what is the solution to getting all the available wattage? What size SCC would be suggested? And am I needing a higher amp SCC as well as a higher Watt capacity? I don't care which brand just need a model number suggested.

Since I have a 1200w array and only using 600w. what is the solution to getting all the available wattage? What size SCC would be suggested? And am I needing a higher amp SCC as well as a higher Watt capacity? I don't care which brand just need a model number suggested.
I use a victron 100/50. I have 600 watts of panels on it. When i had it hooked for 12 volts, that amount of panels has a potential of delivering 36 amps in ideal conditions, but i only saw 50 amps. It is rated for 60 amps of short circuit current. It is rated for 700 watts for a 12 volt system or 1400 watts for a 24 volt system.

They have bigger SCCs like a victron 150/70 or 250/100, but those get pricey. I chose to buy more of the smaller SCCs and orient my panels differently. Two SCCs for the roof one with 600 watts of panels, the other with 1050 watts of panels, and then a ground mount with 900 watts of panels. I’m now 24 votls and can run the ac off the solar for at least 6 hours a day.

Here’s the victron line;

You can get another one of those SCC and parallel them to charge at 80A into your 12V battery, but that is a lot of current for most batteries to handle. What info do you have on your battery and what is the recommended charge current?

Back