diy solar

diy solar

Rich Solar panels..?

Smith

Are Rich Solar panels any good..
Does anyone have an opinion/experience on there performance or integrity as a good quality product...?

Thanks..

I have 2 of the 100 watt panels and they have functioned just fine over this past summer. I upgraded my 200 watt system to 400, and so far they work as specified. I’m happy so far. I would buy them again.

so, what should a beginner start with 300 watt panels, or 100 watt panels?...just looking so far...prob will build a 24 vac system per will's instructional videos...also I am thinking of using the all-in-one mpp system....I may go to a 48volt system

I like easy-to-manage size and the low cost of these Rich 100's. I don't know which specific 300w panel you are considering, but I'm wagering it is a great deal larger, heavier, and more expensive than a 100w panel.

I have 8 100w rich solar and 4 100w windy nations, all my Rich solar push more than 100w each. The windy nations will sometimes hit 100w most of the time not. Rich Solar all the way for me.

so, what should a beginner start with 300 watt panels, or 100 watt panels?...just looking so far...

I don't think it really matters, larger panels can be found cheaper often, and I suppose less connections/wiring, but heavier. largely it depends on your application and preference and the space you have available, not your level of expertise. Large panels are more often used for stationary residential or commercial systems, small panels on boats and vehicles, but plenty of vehicles opt for large panels too.

prob will build a 24 vac system...I may go to a 48volt system

Small correction 24V DC

How large of a system are you intending to build (what array size, inverter size?) and what purpose/application?

I don't think it really matters, larger panels can be found cheaper often, and I suppose less connections/wiring, but heavier. largely it depends on your application and preference and the space you have available, not your level of expertise. Large panels are more often used for stationary residential or commercial systems, small panels on boats and vehicles, but plenty of vehicles opt for large panels too.

Small correction 24V DC

How large of a system are you intending to build (what array size, inverter size?) and what purpose/application?
I started out wanting 12v panels, then the panels I wanted were sold out, so I opted for the 24v panels. I have 2/25v/200w panels, ordered now..
I have a Giandel 2000W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter DC 24V to AC120V coming soon..
and 2/12v deep cycle batteries to start out with.
this is my first system install... I'll supply power for a frig/freezer conversion, some lights, and an odd appliance on occasion to start with..
I've just moved off grid, so I'm trying to get started with a ssystem that I can expand on, if needed later.

thanks

(font size reduced by moderator)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my shipment of 250w panels. Each 69"x39", 41 lbs. It doesn't sound like a lot until you are trying to move them, and that was just from the truck to my garage. Can't wait to tote them up the ladder. :)

100w panels you can carry around with one hand (y)

I bought 4 Rich Solar 12V 100W mono panels recently, quality seems good especially for the price. I'm running them in series and have seen 404W, angle is not even optimized and it's winter. Running them into the Rich Solar MPPT (same as Renogy), the unit is OK, setup and bluetooth app could use some work though.

I bought 20 of the 100 watt Rich Solar poly panels last spring. Some of them developed faint "snail trails" over the summer, but as best as I can tell the output has not been affected. One of my panels did come with a bad solder connection of a wire to the diodes. The wire had actually pulled completely out.
I just received 10 more of them which I am planning to add to my ground array in the early spring. I will rotate the panels 90 deg on the Renogy tilt mounts so that I can fit in 10 more.
Solar Array 2.jpg

Jeepers! I'm getting much less wattage from my four (4) 100-watt Rich Solar panels. Only around 20w-30w right now, TOTAL, here in January. They're angled pretty good toward the sun. I have them in two pairs for my 24v system (MPP Solar LV2424-MSD Charge Controller/Inverter); and of course, then in series. (Or is it in series, then in parallel? Either way per memory, it's the "correct" way :))

They're not located in thier final location yet, so they do get some tree branch shadows on them quite often throughout the day. I suppose that's what's putting the kibosh on any significant production?? That, and the fact that it's winter sun?

Something doesn't sound right, maybe take a meter to them to make sure the Voc is good on all of them? Also, the -MSD version is 145 VDC max PV input. I would run them in series.

Screenshot_20210112-192833_Drive.jpg

Something doesn't sound right, maybe take a meter to them to make sure the Voc is good on all of them? Also, the -MSD version is 145 VDC max PV input. I would run them in series.

View attachment 32996
Thanks for the remarks! To be more clear too - my panels are around 22v open voltage, they say. Since I'm running a 24 volt system (MPP Solar, as you show here) I needed to bind them together in pairs to get "over" the 24v input so it would work. <-- All of this isn't news to you, I'm sure. :)

So I have two pairs, each of those in series (doubling my volts to get 44v±) and then have those two 44v± pairs run in parallel to double the amps - for more efficient transfer of the PV power to the charge controller. Another reason I have it set up this way is that if one pair gets shaded the other pair isn't affected by that shade on the first pair - correct?

Is there a "better" way to set up these four (4) 100-watt panels that feature 22± voc each and around 5.4 amp rating each, for a 24v charge controller / 24v battery setup?
20200711_105237.jpg
Thanks!

PV input voltage doesn't need to equal battery voltage, you want it higher especially for MPPT. Running them series will be approx 88Voc. By running the higher voltage you run lower amperage which is a good thing. Another way to say it is ideally you could make 400W with less than 6A current, wire size can now be smaller with no issues and no splitters/combiners. I'm charging a 24V battery with my panels and it works great

Back