diy solar

diy solar

Rig Run Down Question

danielsjoseph891

I've read Will's book, and referenced a secondary source. I'm asking this because time and budget are of the essence and this is my first system build. Looking for a simple "good to go", or "your wrong-you need this component instead this" or "your missing this, this, and this". I'm not interested in brand/equipment comparisons at the moment or individual solar ideology/opinions. Unless brands are incompatible, I'm open to brand comparisons at another juncture. I just wish to know if the component itself is the correct component to be installed in the system, and if not, what should be there in it's stead/added to system.
Below is a list of system components for a van build. Is there anything wrong or missing? Please advise. Thank you.

System is for a van build:
-(4) 100w HQST panels, wired in two pairs of series for a series/parallel combo
-10 gauge wires from panels going to (2) 2-panel branch connectors before entering the vehicle (controller and battery both will be less that ten feet away)
Down below:
-Renogy Rover 40amp Li charge controller
-50 amp circuit breaker
-200 amp bolt on battery main fuse
-8 gauge wire from controller to battery bank (Rover only fits 8)
-Battery will be 206 ah SOK
-4/0 gauge battery to invertor cable
-Renogy 2000w pure sinewave invertor
-12 circuit fuse block
-12 gauge wire for connecting my MAXXAIR 5100k, two 12v cigarette lighter outlets (1 for a Road Pro fan, 1 for my Alpicool C15 fridge, and puck lights to fuse block
-The cheapo 8-80v.0-100 amp battery monitor on Will's recommendation page (can't afford Victron)
-Circuit breaker, main fuse, wiring, and fuse block are from Will's recommendation page (except for hook up wire from panels)

It helps to provide links for each item. There are often specs that are relevant, which we'll look at to tell you that it's the wrong product.

A circuit breaker between the panels and the solar charge controller is recommended.
The 50 amp circuit breaker size downstream of the solar charge controller is appropriate, but is it a quality breaker or some cheap knockoff that may or may not work?

The bolt-on battery fuse is probably not what you want. A Class T fuse is the general recommendation and I have yet to see a bolt-on Class T.

What circuit breaker are you using on the wire to the inverter?

Back