diy solar

diy solar

Ripped off or I’m missing something?

Gerryrome

Hello, I’m a beginners in the lifepo4 world so I apologize if I pose silly questions.
I’ve bought a 100 Ah 12V lifepo4 battery with a JBD Bluetooth BMS. Battery works fine and bms indicates correctly 100Ah capacity but, here it comes the problem. I used the battery for the first time and I discharged it down to 30% of its original capacity. Then I used a Victron Energy IP65 smart battery 10A recharger using factory Lifepo4 settings. Both the bms and the charger shows about 9.91 A of current in the recharging phase but after 44 Amp of charge and 4.10 hours the charging cycle is completed. The BMS show 100% complete and 100Ah... which sounds strange to me... what Am I missing?

44amps likely was not constant.

unless there was a draw at the same time.

sorry, I misunderstood the question.

your charger reports 44Ah to reach 100%?

You think 70% discharge, or 30% remaining, correct? So, either the battery is undersized, or the charger is not properly calibrated for the battery.

thanks for your reply. No there was no draw at the time of charging. Yes it charged only 44 Ah to reach 100%. And the battery was 70% discharged. So, based on the charger data the battery capacity should be about 75Ah

Sounds like it's time for a good old redneck capacity test. Grab something with a known draw, like a few old school incandescent automotive brake light bulbs, and see how long it takes to drain that battery at a constant draw. That will tell you its capacity as you have charged it.

As another poster has said, if it isn't the battery, it's probably your charge profile.

Thank you, I’ve bought a capacity tester and tomorrow evening I will perform a capacity test, hoping that is a charger related problems.
I will keep you updated.

You may have to calibrate the charge and load current. Mine ... that is similar .... was incorrect til I did that.

I am not familiar with your power supply.
However the one I have, you are supposed to set the voltage you want BEFORE hooking it up to the battery.
And THEN adjust the amperage once hooked up.
Otherwise you can get inaccurate readings and even bloated cells that are over charged.
Hope this helps. :)

Back