diy solar

diy solar

RNG-100D-SS vs HQST-100-SS

faraday

Hi all, new member here.

We recently ordered (8) HQST-100D-SS panels directly from the https://hqsolarpower.com website. Here's what we got:

(5) Renogy RNG-100D-SS in somewhat battered boxes.
(3) HQST-100D-SS in similarly battered boxes.

I kind of think the boxes left the factory like that, but maybe FedEx did it. Boxes shipped individually and weren't all shipped on the same day even.

Ok, so here's the question. Since the panels are obviously physically different, and since I want to have all panels matched somewhat I checked a couple of each in broad hazy daylight to see what I'd get.

RNG-100D-SS: 2.7A short circuit current, 21.0 V open circuit voltage
HQST-100D-SS: 4.4A short circuit current, 22.9V open circuit voltage

In each test I oriented the panel for maximum output.

I realize (I'm an EE) that max power would be achieved somewhat between open and shorted load (OOV & OOC), but I have no easy way to load them like that right now.

Just on a first rough test, with somewhat faulty methodology, it sure seems like the HQST-100D-SS has the potential to outperform the RNG. (And based on price I'd have thought Renogy should be better)

I have a REALLY hard time believing that the Renogy unit would ever hit it's 4.85A or 5.28A currents (see below).

Both are supposed to be 100 W panels.

Any idea what's going on here? Since it would be easier to return 3 HQST and keep the REN (assuming HQST would do that), is there any reason to believe that the RNG units could actually perform as well as the HQST?

BTW
RGN sticker reads:
Max power 100W
OCV 21.6V
OOV 17.9V
OOC 5.72A
SCC 6.24A

HQST sticker reads:
Max power 100W
OCV 24.6V
OOV 20.6V
OOC 4.85A
SCC 5.28A

Is the HQST a poly panel? I'm pretty sure the Renogy is mono. It's not a well kept secret that poly panels can often perform better than a mono in diffuse lighting. Wait for a clear sky and do the test again if the HQST is a poly.

Temperature will pay a role too. Poly panels have a worse temperature response than mono panels so you probably want to leave both out in the sun for an hour and then compare to get a better feel for how each will perform in a real world installation where they are exposed to the sun all the time.

Both panels are definetly mono and look pretty much like photos in these brochures:

I just read the HQST spec sheet and noticed that the electrical specs don't even match those on the panel! What I listed in the original post is how the "HQST-100D-SS" Sticker on the panel reads:
Max power 100W
OCV 24.6V
OOV 20.6V
OOC 4.85A
SCC 5.28A

Renogy spec sheet matches Renogy label.

Clear sky? Won't happen till long after 30 days are up. I'm in Idaho, and western fires aren't letting up. The sun is bright but slightly diffused.

I noticed people in a different thread https://diysolarforum.com/threads/hqst-compact-100w-sent-renogy-panel-of-incorrect-dimensions.12705/ also having supply problems and shipping errors with HQST. I guess this is the new normal.

But still need to know which panel to go with IF there is even an option these days.

Small update. First, my methodology on panel testing was flawed. I didn't realize how much smoke we apparently have in the air due to western fires. So, the OCV and OOC didn't really mean much as I measured them.

Today I unboxed a Tracer 1410AN Charge Controller and conducted some experiments with one of each type of panel. Results were comparable. I should note that the charge controller and system would like a PV input voltage probably twice what I was feeding it, but I didn't want to risk damaging more than one of each panel in the event of returns, so this test was conducted with only one panel connected, and a 12V battery.

RNG:
PV Output: 18V, 2.5A = 45 W
Batt Input: 14.3 x 3.2A = 44 W

HQST:
PV Output: 21V x 2.1A = 44 W
Batt Input: 14.3V x 3.0A = 43 W

Note that the PV input voltage lacks a decimal point (1410AN shortcoming, should have used a meter), so these values could easily be off by 5% on PV input. I waited for each panel to settle down before noting the values, and the sun was moving during the time so values could be off slightly because of that too. Also, the battery, while not quite new is close to being charged, thus the controller may scaling back what it's trying to take power wise from the panel.

My conclusion now is that both panels probably, under perfect conditions, would deliver the advertised wattage. Both look well made. The Renogy has a large and thicker frame and slightly more cell surface area. The Renogy label on the back is consistent with their advertising. The HQST labels and advertising are totally inconsistent with each other. I don't know if all the panels are the same and they just changed what they put on the labels, or if the panels are actually different. But, if electrically different for the same model number, that would raise compatibility issues if upgrading a system. If I had one reason to go Renogy over HQST this would be it.

I couldn't find a telephone number for HQST so couldn't call them. That's a problem. I did call Renogy and someone actually answered the phone and was very polite. I told him I received 5 REN panels in an order from HQST. I asked him if he was technical, and he said yes. But he almost immediately couldn't answer any technical questions on the panel. He asked me to test EVERY ONE of the 5, and send him pictures of my meter showing the voltages! All of a sudden this reminded me of the (for me at least) typical US Chinese run company method of making you run through so many loops that you eventually give up. (And by the way, looking at it now, what he wanted me to do would have shown nothing useful) I finally asked him, if per chance my testing and documenting showed up anything negative, what his company would do about it. He said nothing! I'd have to go through HQST. So much for that.

I asked him what Renogy's relationship was with HQST. He first said they are a "sister company." Then I asked him if he had a phone number for HQST, and he put me on hold again. Came back and said he didn't, that I'd have to contact them through the web. I said being a sister company implies kind of a close relationship, and yet you don't have a phone number? Then he started back peddling and said they are a distributor, without a phone number. Hmm

So, at this point I guess I'd say we get what we pay for as far as support, or lack thereof. I haven't approached HQST yet about the mix of panels, so I don't know what they'd do to rectify the situation. If I had it to do all over again I'd probably go Renogy because they seem to have their act together somewhat more on support, labels are consistent with advertising, and at least they didn't mess up my order.

Last edited:
My conversation with Renogy went about the same. Very frustrating. I find it hard to believe that HQST and Renogy are not run by the same people since the address is the same. At the very least Renogy is drop shipping for HQST and should be partially responsible for incorrect orders.

Since I can't use the panels I was shipped I ended up cancelling the Amazon order but there's no way I can ship the panels back using the single non-prepaid shipping label they gave me for the 10 separate boxes I received. I've contacted sales@myhqsolar.com and am waiting to hear back. Worst case, I guess I do a credit card charge back to at least get their attention?

I agree, if you have to choose between HQST and Renogy, I'd probably go Renogy. This whole situation has put a bad taste in my mouth for both companies but at least Renogy has some sort of verifiable information online and a phone number. They also have a BBB page that seems to get attention.

As a followup, I never contacted HQST because I figured they would bungle any return process as badly as the bungled my original order. Instead I decided to keep the 3 HQST and order one more Renogy through Amazon, giving me 6 Renogy. For the moment I intend to put these (6) into storage, to be brought out and installed in the event that we need longer term off grid power (read in to this what you want to).

I'll use the 3 HQST to keep batteries charged, etc. for temporary power outages and to get some experience with this technology. By the way, the Renogy panel I ordered through Amazon came in a perfectly good box, unlike the horribly shopworn boxes that all of the HQST and Renogy I received from HQST. I think HQST figured they could get away with sending me all the junk they had laying around. Well I guess it worked for them, but I don't appreciate it. The times we live in...

I am sorry to put it this way but I have been around solar stuff for quite some time... in all that time one thing stands out Renogy is Crap, I'd rather use recycled Toilet Paper ! There is nothing in the universe that would ever get me to recommend them for anything other than an example of a Shyster Company.

TBH, you would have been farther ahead by buying from Satansolar as you are in the States it is the Best Bang per Buck you will ever see. They are selling Real & Quality products both New & Used. https://store.santansolar.com/product-category/solar-panels/

I am sorry to put it this way but I have been around solar stuff for quite some time... in all that time one thing stands out Renogy is Crap, I'd rather use recycled Toilet Paper ! There is nothing in the universe that would ever get me to recommend them for anything other than an example of a Shyster Company.

TBH, you would have been farther ahead by buying from Satansolar as you are in the States it is the Best Bang per Buck you will ever see. They are selling Real & Quality products both New & Used. https://store.santansolar.com/product-category/solar-panels/

Ouch! Tell us how you really feel.
thumbup2.gif

Took mine off the car today here's the label

Attachments

• IMG_20201016_150228.jpg
    IMG_20201016_150228.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 44
I realize this is an older post, but it looks like the panels have changed again. I ordered these HSQT 100D-SS panels in December 2021 and here is the sticker.

157582C8-535F-49E5-8E8A-F8DC7114239F.jpeg

I realize this is an older post, but it looks like the panels have changed again. I ordered these HSQT 100D-SS panels in December 2021 and here is the sticker.
It seems they change or have many different variant's. I wonder sometimes if I was to order more that it would like surprise to see what I end up with. It does look as you gone with the 24v panel not the 12v.

It seems they change or have many different variant's. I wonder sometimes if I was to order more that it would like surprise to see what I end up with. It does look as you gone with the 24v panel not the 12v.
Don’t think it’s 24v as Vmp is 20.3. I email HQST to see why my sticker is different than what their website lists.

I can't access their website https://www.hqsolarpower.com/

2022-03-15 update: I just heard from them via email. Some US lawyer had some issues with some ad-terms they were using and they've shut their website down for 3 days to rebuild it without the words they used that were copyrighted in the USA.

Last edited:
I can't access their website https://www.hqsolarpower.com/

2022-03-15 update: I just heard from them via email. Some US lawyer had some issues with some ad-terms they were using and they've shut their website down for 3 days to rebuilt it without the words they used that were copyrighted in the USA.
Wow that is interesting. I wonder what the outcome will be?

Back