diy solar

diy solar

Roof couldn't support the weight of solar panels

I shouldn't laugh...but gee wizz...installer never did a calc? Looks like a carport at a rental or something.

Carport roof, add concrete blocks that likely weighed more than the solar panels themselves and POOF!

My house roof when the Structural engineers did the calculations using the latest codes and footnotes has less PSF load with the solar panels than before. (No live load needed on the panel area; obviously dead load went up)

When I was a kid growing up in Seattle, I did a short time gig with a painting and roofing contractor up on Capital Hill where all the old houses are. I would get the fun job of hauling the roofing packs up the ladder and throw them on the roof. Don't ask me why they weren't delivered roof-top, that was way before I had heard of such a thing. Anyway, it was common to roof over old asphalt shingles, this one already had three layers on it, and it was up on a second story. Yeah, it should have been torn off, but you know...shady contractor. When I would throw the pack off my shoulder onto the roof the whole roof would bounce about a foot! I just couldn't believe it.

Then on payday he didn't have my check ready and my mom and dad were so upset we went and found the guy, dad was REALLY pissed. I don't remember if I got my money, but I didn't go back to work either. I was about 16. Life's lessons.

The old guy would roll his own cigarettes, with a laredo rolling machine. I digress...fifty years ago. LOL

What failed was the connection to the home, looks like it was just nailed to the facia board, no posts like the 3 on the street end.

All the solar panels are intact, no cracked glass, so just jack it up, some nails and it would be good to go for another try :rolleyes:

1-12-2023 11-56-11 AM.png

Back