diy solar

diy solar

Roof Top Solar Panel Layout Question for Class A RV - How close is too close to the leading edge of the RV (Photo)

Jon22896

I am getting ready to install 6 x 200w solar panels on the roof of my Class A RV. I plan to install three in the rear of the roof and three of them in the front. The three in the front will be installed across the leading edge of the roof 6"-10" behind the cap. I'm trying to figure out how big of an issue drag will be this far forward in terms of securing the three panels in the front to the roof. Do I need to through-bolt? Any advice is appreciated.

Specs:
  • 26 ft RV
  • Roof is TPO, very thin plywood (luan?), 5" strips of sheet steel every 48" (running from side-to-side), and 2.5" of eps foam.
  • I plan to install a few long pieces of aluminum strut channel running front-to-back -- each anchored into two or three of the sheet steel seams -- and then mount the solar panels to the aluminum strut channel
Here are photos:

This is how I plan to install them

PXL_20220602_021239610.jpg

I could also install them this way

PXL_20220602_020917971.jpg

The second picture has the panels too close to the air conditioning unit which will throw shade on the panels.

In the first picture, the distance from the front looks OK. If possible, I would mount the strut perpendicular to the length of the RV. But it all comes down to if you can securely fasten the strut to the roof structure.

Just keep in mind that the sides are where the tree limbs will strike when you are in a tight area and making a turn, I'd try to push them more to the center for that reason.

Back