diy solar

diy solar

Rooftop 12V AC from a power station -- thoughts?

Beedrew

Hi Everyone, new here. I'm planning a Promaster van build and I want to install the Dometic CoolAir 2000 RTX 12V rooftop AC. (Don't judge me...I'm of an age where I need my air conditioner for sleeping. ;-D)

Specs say this unit needs 19.5 amps in Eco Mode. I'd like to use a Titan power station for my van, but ALL of the DC ports together are limited to 20 amps. Sure, when I'm using the Dometic CoolAir to sleep I won't be using much else at the same time. But there's lights and the fridge and so forth. Using 19.5 amps just for the air conditioner seems too close to the Titan's 20 amp limit for its DC ports.

Does anyone know a way that I could use the 30-amp RV plug (guessing it's 120v) on the Titan to power the Dometic CoolAir?

If not, guess I will look at the Goal Zero Yeti which has a 30 amp limit for DC, or explore building my own system. I know that either way, I'll need a lot of battery capacity to run an air conditioner all night.

Thanks for reading!

19.5A * 12V = 234W

234W * 8h = 1872Wh - battery capacity needed assuming it runs for 8 hours continuously.

30A RV plug is indeed 120VAC, so you would need an expensive and inefficient AC-DC converter. They're typically about 85% efficient.

19.5A * 12V = 234W

234W * 8h = 1872Wh - battery capacity needed assuming it runs for 8 hours continuously.

30A RV plug is indeed 120VAC, so you would need an expensive and inefficient AC-DC converter. They're typically about 85% efficient.
Thank you! I will research....

The Progressive Dynamics models 4000 and above are all over Amazon, and it's possible to talk directly to PD, or their primary reseller in Tenn. He's a really nice fellow. This also gives you the ability to stub out more 120V outlets with breakers in the rig.

OP if you have any aspirations of upgrading to lithium batteries, you need to get the model with THE SWITCH so you can choose batt type.

Thanks for posting that link. I’ve been researching air conditioners myself. That looks like a good one!

Thanks for posting that link. I’ve been researching air conditioners myself. That looks like a good one
Hi Everyone, new here. I'm planning a Promaster van build and I want to install the Dometic CoolAir 2000 RTX 12V rooftop AC. (Don't judge me...I'm of an age where I need my air conditioner for sleeping. ;-D)

Specs say this unit needs 19.5 amps in Eco Mode. I'd like to use a Titan power station for my van, but ALL of the DC ports together are limited to 20 amps. Sure, when I'm using the Dometic CoolAir to sleep I won't be using much else at the same time. But there's lights and the fridge and so forth. Using 19.5 amps just for the air conditioner seems too close to the Titan's 20 amp limit for its DC ports.

Does anyone know a way that I could use the 30-amp RV plug (guessing it's 120v) on the Titan to power the Dometic CoolAir?

If not, guess I will look at the Goal Zero Yeti which has a 30 amp limit for DC, or explore building my own system. I know that either way, I'll need a lot of battery capacity to run an air conditioner all night.

Thanks for reading!

Thanks for posting that link. I’ve been researching air conditioners myself. That looks like a good one!

Back