diy solar

diy solar

Route du Rhum: Fabrice Amedeo abandons ship after explosion

jdege

Route du Rhum: Fabrice Amedeo abandons ship after explosion
Skipper Fabrice Amedeo has been forced to abandon his Imoca Nexans – Art et Fenêtres during the Route du Rhum solo transatlantic race, after an explosion on board the vessel caused it to sink.

 Amedeo, a 42-year-old former journalist turned ocean racer, says he was having a great race until Sunday morning, when he realised his ballast had exploded on a wave and he had “several hundred litres” of water in the boat. At this point, the batteries became affected by the water and failed, causing a complete blackout on board. By Sunday afternoon, smoke started to appear on board

Reporting from the freighter on Monday afternoon, Amedeo recalls the rest of the tale in his own words:
“Shortly after 12:30pm on Sunday, there was more smoke on board. Followed by an explosion. I grope my way back into the cabin and manage to retrieve my TPS. My grab bag (survival bag) had remained in the cockpit. I am going back to get my wedding ring. I hit the fire extinguisher, but nothing happens. The smoke is not white like yesterday but yellow. The cockpit warps and yellows. Seawater spray sounds like the sound of water hitting a saucepan. I understand that I will have to evacuate. I warn my team of a possible evacuation. When I hang up, I am then at the back of the boat ready to trigger my survival: a torrent of flame comes out of the cabin and the coach roof. I am caught in the middle of the flames. I can’t even open my eyes. I manage to push the life raft into the water and jump.

TLDR; The whole boat's electrical system was flooded with salt water, and then nearly 2 days later there was a fire and explosion. No details on the electrical system or any indication of what actually caught fire and exploded.

Back